bruises after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have been locked out of scubaboard for several days. So it's great to see all these good replies when I got back in today!
Well, next time (Bonaire in a couple of weeks), I will give it 24 hours of SI before the departing flight, just to be conservative, even tho DAN is more generous these days. I will also call DAN before I go.
I did wonder about mask squeeze and the eye thing -- on that trip I was dealing with a new mask that was fogging so badly (yes, after multiple cleanings, etc) that I know I wasn't equalizing the mask as much as I should have. It was darn tight when I got uptop.
I am surprised to read that bruising is a common sx of DCI. I haven't found any text that surports that specifically, but it makes alot of sense.
Just good to know all this -- fear can be healthy when it's constructive.

My hubby was an altitude freak of the other kind... into flying small aircraft. On his dash was always the pithy reminder:

"Don't Do Nothin' Stupid!"
Thanks gang!

Just my hunch on the blood vessels in the eyes...could be that a mask squeeze did everything BUT rupture the blood vessels, and on the flight home, the change in cabin pressure was just enough to nudge them over the edge. I don't think I have personally heard of popped blood vessels as a DCI symptom, but that's not saying it's impossible. It seems to me there are other more likely and plausable causes of the symptoms you have described, unless there were other symptoms you haven't mentioned. Of course, if you are concerned, calling DAN is always a good approach. :)

Back
Top Bottom