Brrr...need a new undergarment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skatermegs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey ladies-
So after a freezing cold dive at Sunnyside today (5 ft vis, 41 degree water) I realized just how desperetly I need a new undergarment. I've been getting colder and colder lately, and am switching to dry gloves. Currently I dive an Apollo drysuit with a REI mountaineering baselayer and a Helly Hansen baselayer. They worked great when I started (I was too warm), but I move a lot less now so unless I am swimming hard or practically dancing underwater I am freezing now. My suit is a tad bit snug, so nothing super puffy will work. I have no idea where to even start looking!
So, what do you recommend?
Megan

can you fit another layer of micropolar fleece? (the non-fluffy kind). I wear two long sleeve mountaineering mid-weight base layers and a micropolar fleece sweater that is a men's so the sleeves and body fit longer (covers my bum in my fleece lined running tights) I wear a neoprene drysuit. FWIW I wore a weezle extreme under a fusion on satuday, and bare nextgen on sunday and I was colder than my neoprene. 46F was the lowest temp.

You might try the 4th Element Arctic. It's like a thick sweatshirt, so it's not too bulky. It's what my husband dives. I don't know where in Western Washington you are, but Northwest Sports Divers in Mill Creek carries it.

A nice low bulk option as a first layer are Carol Davis' jumpsuits. They're quite warm for their thickness, and nice and stretchy, so they aren't restrictive.
Thermal Underwear: Long Thermal Underwear from Carol Davis Sportswear
Of course, they're nowhere near enough alone for temps this time of year, but I think they're worth looking at. You can read several reviews if you do a search here. While you're at it, search for Ron's Ebay undergarments. I've also seen several positive reviews here for them as a great option for the price, although I haven't tried them.
Stay warm!
-c

REI's heavyweight polartec is another option. It's what DUI's polartec undergarment is for a tenth of the price. You can stack that on top of one of your current baselayers and it may work before you go and drop $300+ on new undies

Look up WICKING and get kid sized stuff from Walmart for underneath.

The SANTI BZ400 rated 44 degrees and below. It is well made and has great reviews.

My wife wears Underarmour Base 3.0 thermals (top and bottom), along with a fleece vest and tank top on top, and a pair of thick leggings on the bottom. And thick wool socks. We have dove clear lake at about 38 degrees and only had cold fingers at the end of a 45 min dive.

I tend to wear some Under Armor thick, cold weather gear thermal underwear under my undergarments. It does very well, wicking the sweat away & is a tad warmer than with out. I also wear Pinnacle's Merano Evolution undergarment (650 gm) However, it is no low bulk,... but it is warm, for sure. I do know a few divers that also dive with canister battery heated vests & seem to like them.

Thanks guys! I will definitely check out the under armor-I had thought of them but wasn't sure if it would be quite warm enough. Most of my diving is done in the Tacoma area, but since I am in Olympia we dive Hood Canal a good deal, and it gets pretty cold. I'm *hoping* that 41 degrees was a fluke, and that will generally be the coldest I will dive around here, but I want to be warm to at least that cold! I did also start looking at 4th Element-it looks more like what I have been using (I like the two piece style). What does anyone think of Whites? I need to lose a little bit of my own padding to get that to fit well, but I like how it looks and my lds carries it, which really helps!
Megan

Back
Top Bottom