Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park - CT - July 16, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry I cant make it. My buddy Earl talked me into exploring the Niantic Bay with a crew for a crane that toppled over from a barge back in the 70's afterwards we plan on diving a rock pile of somesorts that we can see that looks interesting on the charts.

Not too crazy about all these last minute change in plans.
I was hoping to dive the quarry.

Hopefully again very soon Dave.

Chris

dbg40:
Looking for a buddy for Sunday AM at the quarry. Regular buddy is down (NO!, I did'nt hurt him!) Early would be good, anyone?

What are you talking about..... Regular Buddy is down?? Down in the Quarry is more like it.. Where were you.. I can probally sneek in one or two early tomorrow.. Put in Three today with JimJam, had a blast. We found a great big pile of junk on the South Wall, by that bricked in spot.. Motorcycles, Bicycles, Washers, Dryers, I even think I saw Jimmy Hoffa in there.. We went back with a lift bag to lift the Motorcycle, and couldnt find it, must of been the Army navigation by our leader.. Anyway we dove the wall from the South Wall across the front of the Promentory.. Good Dive. JimJam and I went in for a third, followed the right line across to the cars, even found an old truck and some great big industrial machine of some sort.. We couldnt figure out what it was. I even got to torment some of Frank's Bass. Frank you need to drop a hook in that car, talk about a Bass Habitat.. Best Vis I have seen in the Quarry yet..

Anyway, I found a reel in the bottom of the quarry, If anybody can describe it, it's yours... Anybody except JimJam....

regarding the reel...does it have some rope on it? and it is made with some sort of plastic and metal combination...yep it must be mine!

lord1234:
regarding the reel...does it have some rope on it? and it is made with some sort of plastic and metal combination...yep it must be mine!

DING...DING...DING... YOU WIN... NOT..... Sorry close, but no reel for you... Are you in the Spiced Rum again??

Hey, I'll be there tomorrow to do a dive, I usually only do 1 tank then I'll kayak. If anyone finds something and they surface, I can mark the surface spot with my gps... just a suggestion.

cbsaw:
We went back with a lift bag to lift the Motorcycle, and couldnt find it, must of been the Army navigation by our leader.. QUOTE]

cbsaw-

The reel is your's man! I told you...put your name on it as SOON as you get it home! Remember, everything you need to learn in life you learned in kindergarten...Rule #1 - Finders Keepers. Rule #2 Slowly Ascend From Every Dive (...you didn't learn that in elementary school?)

BTW, DAN says that the source of my london broil sized hand after our last dive was simply suit squeeze, fairly common in drysuit diving. I went home and trimmed the seals a little bit more, and I configured my gear a little better. When I went diving yesterday, I was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of my suit: GSTROUPE can attest to that! So hopefully, there'll be another dive in the very near future that I can enjoy! Thanks again for a great time diving!

Me, GFisher and Moe did a dive. The vis is much better than I had anticipated. We were navigating diagonally to the peninsula across from the entry point and were at about 35 ft. and hit a wall so we had to ascend over it. On the ascent, a very nice, controlled, textbook ascent, I started to have vertigo. Very strange feeling, kinda cool in a way. Felt like I was in a whirlpool. Just focused on my SPG and surfaced. Felt fine, continued with the dive, checked out the shallows where all the fish are on the way back. GFisher was having a problem with his mask so Moe and I went back along the top part of the wall to see the fish some more. A really nice dive with good visability.

When I go to get out of the water - WOOZY... Spinning, nauseating feeling. This has happened to me before but now I know it is not a one time deal. Got sick to my stomach. Couldn't stand without getting sick to my stomach. Was down and out for hours before I was able to drive.

Did some research. The causes of vertigo is when the pressure is unequal in your inner ears. Even uneven temperature which I know was happening... warm water from inside my hood on one side and cold water seeped in on the other... many variables but it could happen to anyone.

The diving was great otherwise. I would definitely go back. Hope my inner ear issues can get resolved! Going to see ENT to make sure I don't have any damage.

Thanks GFisher for hanging out with me through this ordeal, you were an excellent buddy!!

Michele-

I've had the same thing happen to me before...however, I have ears that are made for diving! (there's something to be proud of) I've never had ear problems, and my ears clear without doing a valsalva (close the nose and blow) maneuver. I would bet it has more to do with the cold than anything. I had problems with my hands swelling up after one of my dives and Tom at Scuba Shack had me call DAN. I found out it had more to do with by tight seals on my drysuit, but at the same time, I have a hunch the cold had something to do with it. The gloves I was using were not terribly well suited for the low 40s we were seeing on a couple dives. Just my 2 cents worth.

In researching some of the responses on this board, temperature was mentioned but this has happened when I didn't wear a hood. I do remember thinking how nice a toasty the water was in my hood after a gush of cold water seeped into one side. I still have a swimmy feeling though even now and pressure deep inside my ears. Waiting to get my referral for an ENT. I think it is related to water I had in my ear from a dive I did on Wednesday.

I heard you were at the shop and I missed you by minutes on Saturday! I hope we meet up soon!

I enjoyed the quarry though, liked the dive alot. A great place to practice skills for sure. The diversity of the place is great and I definitely see it as a place where you could hone your skills and keep progressing to the next level. I would like to see a more detailed topo of that spot though.

Jim,

Glad to here the hands are alright. I had to take off out of the Scuba Shack before you were done with DAN.. Gald we are a member... I did see Tom down at the Quarry Sunday and asked how you made out, he assured me you were fine.. At least, your hands were fine anyway.. How were your dives on Sunday?? I didnt dive at all, just hung around the Quarry for about and hour or two, then came home to tend to my Husbandly duties.. Looks like I will be dropping the big dollars tomorrow and jumping in on the Halcyon BP.. Look out... can you spell D.I.R?? :icon10: Cant wait to get it wet. Hey I felt guilty about the reel.. the good diver that I am.. Doesnt mean if somebody could describe it..I would give it back anyway... :wink: Well have to hook up again... Had a blast..

Back
Top Bottom