Wanted Broken tech computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

A bit of an odd request here but does anyone have and flooded / broken dive computers (especially something like a shearwater or OSTC) that are beyond repair but you haven' had the heart to get rid of?

If so I may be interested in taking it off your hands.

Nothing from Shearwater is EVER beyond repair...

20190927_095322.jpg

SECOND worst Perdix AI (or was it second worse DC?) received and repaired by Richard at DIVE-Tronix.

Nothing from Shearwater is EVER beyond repair...

View attachment 669499

SECOND worst Perdix AI (or was it second worse DC?) received and repaired by Richard at DIVE-Tronix.

My flooded petrel one needed repairs that exceeded the cost of a new one. So yes, technically fixable, but stupid to do it.

My flooded petrel one needed repairs that exceeded the cost of a new one. So yes, technically fixable, but stupid to do it.

That's surprising. My unit, pictured above, was "repaired" for about 1/3 of the cost of a new one. The only part that was salvaged... A gasket surrounding the screen...

I actually contacted Shearwater to see if they wanted it, maybe salvage some parts. They put me in contact with Richard at Dive-Tronix. Said it be worth asking if it could be repaired. Glad I did.

YMMV I suppose.

Wow that is one beaten up computer, and I assumed they might be few and far between but there is always a chance

That's what happens when you leave one on top of your vehicle. Little fellow hung on for a mile and a half, but the curves finally proved too much for him. Realized what I did when I got to my destination about 12 miles away. Surprised I was able to find his remains....

From what @Tracy said, maybe I'm wrong and someone has one for you. Hope so.

That's surprising. My unit, pictured above, was "repaired" for about 1/3 of the cost of a new one. The only part that was salvaged... A gasket surrounding the screen...

I actually contacted Shearwater to see if they wanted it, maybe salvage some parts. They put me in contact with Richard at Dive-Tronix. Said it be worth asking if it could be repaired. Glad I did.

YMMV I suppose.
That is a perdix vs a petrel. The big push to the perdix was a cheaper platform. They don't need the heavy milled case if it doesn't have a fischer port.
Perdix case is cheap plastic, and the buttons are easily replaced, not potted into the milled delrin case.
There were a ton of improvements going into the perdix from the petrel as far as serviceability and cost.
The only downside was a minor depth limit difference that is beyond the limit of 99.9% of divers.
It is hard to destroy a perdix beyond repair, it isn't hard to destroy a petrel beyond cost feasability.
Take it from a guy who has flooded a SA petrel and three shearwater petrel rebreather controllers.

That is a perdix vs a petrel. The big push to the perdix was a cheaper platform. They don't need the heavy milled case if it doesn't have a fischer port.
Perdix case is cheap plastic, and the buttons are easily replaced, not potted into the milled delrin case.
There were a ton of improvements going into the perdix from the petrel as far as serviceability and cost.
The only downside was a minor depth limit difference that is beyond the limit of 99.9% of divers.
It is hard to destroy a perdix beyond repair, it isn't hard to destroy a petrel beyond cost feasability.
Take it from a guy who has flooded a SA petrel and three shearwater petrel rebreather controllers.

Makes sense!

Petrel would have probably survived.

Makes sense!

Petrel would have probably survived.
It is possible, the two weakest links on the petrels were the edge of the screen and the battery compartment cover. A good sharp hit could crack it to a screw hole causing a catastrophic flood. They fixed the screen with the titanium bezel around all the current ones. The battery compartment was updated about 5 years ago to prevent shallow flooding, they changed the O-ring position. The Perdix still has a better battery door with the double O-ring.
I have had two petrel controllers fail and flood through the pressure sensor, one through the battery door, and another through the screen.
**** happens.
I have never flooded or broken a Perdix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom