Breathing rate, air integrated computers and DCI correlation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under General Rules, my PADI table says:
When planning a dive in cold water or under conditions which might be strenuous, plan the dive assuming the depth is 10 feet deeper than actual.
But what is the rationale? Is it related to pulse rate, or breathing, or something else? Perhaps it's just speculation. As boulderjohn asks, where is the research?

The Remaining Bottom Time ( RBT ) or as you referred to it,ATR, is also given. The RBT is based on depth, current air consumption & gas remaining. It is independent of the No Stop time ( or as you referred NDL ).

Depends on which computer. Some computers show RBT calculated based on consumption rate versus remaining gas, nitrogen loading, OxTox, and shows the shortest bottom time depending on the constraints.

Some computers show ATR and NTS at the same time.

Under General Rules, my PADI table says:

But what is the rationale? Is it related to pulse rate, or breathing, or something else? Perhaps it's just speculation. As boulderjohn asks, where is the research?
I believe this article points out the correlation of increased workload & DCS. This article is in the Dive Alert Network ( DAN ) medical info ( I have selected pertinent paragraphs ):

Decompression Illness: What Is It and What Is The Treatment?

By Dr. E.D. Thalmann, DAN Assistant Medical Director

Who Gets DCI? Decompression illness affects scuba divers, aviators, astronauts and compressed-air workers. It occurs in approximately 1,000 U.S. scuba divers each year. Moreover, DCI hits randomly. The main risk factor for DCI is a reduction in ambient pressure, but there are other risk factors that will increase the chance of DCI occurring. These known risk factors are deep / long dives, cold water, hard exercise at depth, and rapid ascents.

Prevention of DCS
Recreational divers should dive conservatively, whether they are using dive tables or computers. Experienced divers often select a table depth (versus actual depth) of 10 feet (3 meters) deeper than called for by standard procedure. This practice is highly recommended for all divers, especially when diving in cold water or when diving under strenuous conditions. Computer divers should be cautious in approaching no-decompression limits, especially when diving deeper than 100 feet (30 meters). Avoiding the risk factors noted above (deep / long dives, exercise at depth or after a dive) will decrease the chance of DCS occurring.

So the mantra of strenuous dives is repeated by Dr Thalmann (and admittedly, for years by me). That’s not research.

Along with many others I also repeated the mantra of deeper dives before shallower dives, and that turned out to not be an issue either (except penalizing surface interval or repetitive dive times).

We’re still in the infancy of understanding DCS, and I suspect there are more rules of thumb that should be spoken with crossed fingers.

I believe the logic behind reducing the NDL under heavy workload has to do with the increased cardiovascular rate, and hence quicker circulation of blood and blood soluble gasses, rather than the increased respiratory rate. I'd have a hard time believing shallow or improper breathing alone would cause a reduced NDL unless it triggered a stress response. If that is the case, heart rate is still a better indicator or increased risk. Personally, the main concern for shallow rapid breathing should be hypercapnia, which has much quicker manifestations of problems then possible NDL shortening.

Agreed, this thread started with the assertion that changing one’s breathing pattern can reduce DCS risk. Since the exchange of gas in the alveoli is extremely efficient, this seems highly speculative at best.
Even if it turns out that a more strenuous dive does affect DCS, breathing patterns are affected by exercise, not the other way around.

The Galileos optionally couple the workload as reflected in heart rate or breathing by decreasing the NDL with increasing workload. It's probably based on some study as I doubt they just pulled it out of thin air. Maybe one of the experts on decompression at DAN would have some knowledge on this.

The reason you don't want to use a computer that incorporates workload is actually quite simple. When you use a computer with a published, i.e. disclosed model, you can plan and execute dives more logically. Granted I'm not going to advocate live human experimentation, but in effect we're all doing it anyway.

Here are my observations having owned multiple AI computers in the past, and owning exactly none now. A few things, if you are genuinely planning your dives, the concept of air integration is unnecessary, but if you like it - go for it. Before I jump in the water, I how much gas I have, the gas fractions of all gas, and I even know to the closest 100psi how much gas I'm going to have every ten minutes in the dive, and upon my return to the surface. I actually, ahem, plan my dives which includes more than just pressing plan mode on a computer and seeing how much bottom time it lets me have within the no decompression limit.

The reason I don't like whiz-bang adaptations of the model is that I don't know where I started on the model and I certainly don't know where I ended up. Say we plan a dive using ZHL16-B 30/85 and we setup our Shearwater to ZHL16-C 30/85. We can expect our computer will produce a result during the dive that is shockingly scary close upon execution. When we surface we feel tired, groggy, but perhaps not symptomatic, but we’re tired and take a nap on the couch for hours eat some soup and go to bed. I think I need more shallow time. Next dive we try 30/70 and the difference, how we feel is night and day different! In fact, after a 170ft dive we go home and cut the grass, take the kids out for ice cream, and fire up the grill and make some tasty treats. What we've done is admittedly live human experimentation, but we discovered in a one off trial that 30/85 is slightly too aggressive for that particular dive plan.

With whiz-bang gizmo computers, what we find are all sorts of model interpretations by programmers under the direction of product liability lawyers. You can search for a fascinating conversation I had with RonR here on ScubaBoard about the Atomic Cobalt. The Cobalt runs "Proprietary RGBM" (whatever that means) and I observed it did weird and highly unpredictable things beyond 150ft. Turns out, the manufacturer indeed included a "Folded Model" (whatever that means) and it does modify the model (how we'll never know) in real time at greater depths. Okay. No Problem. How do we plan a technical dive with your "multi-gas" computer accurately? Anyone who's ever spent time around a Suunto computer knows about the "Suunto Minute", also a recreational interpretation of "Proprietary RGBM".

Now I know by now people are going to jump on me for picking on bubble model, but don't waste your time. I'm not picking on bubble model, what I'm doing is pointing out that when the manufacturers or their lawyers manipulate the model we can't understand where we started or what we need to adapt our processes to best utilize it.

It is my belief these features exist to convolute the dive planning process and limit legal recovery. I can imagine that a diver using one of these devices with a half dozen settings has a reduced opportunity to sue/recover damages upon being injured. I can visualize the manufacturer's attorney saying, "You failed to set the computer to morbidly obese as shown on page 134 paragraph 2, therefore you didn't do it correctly, sue your instructor who failed to teach you how to use this properly and oh btw – learn to read the manual."

Last edited:
I believe the logic behind reducing the NDL under heavy workload has to do with the increased cardiovascular rate, and hence quicker circulation of blood and blood soluble gasses, rather than the increased respiratory rate. If that is the case, heart rate is still a better indicator or increased risk.
We use a heart rate monitor & respiration to consider significant workload. We set our dive computer to incorporate workload based on which one is higher, heart rate or respiration. By using this setting, we are taking the most conservative route.

If we have increased workload caused by our heart rate or respiration, our computer will give us less No Stop time.

Don't you want the most conservative option based on your activity?

Back
Top Bottom