Breathing rate affects NDL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heart rate and breathing rate are linked to work, harder work is linked to faster on/off-gassing. I've no idea how SP's "ADT" algorithm works but if it were me programming it: working at the bottom => faster on-gassing => hitting M0 values faster than you otherwise would. I.e. shorter NDL. Working at the safety stop => faster off-gassing => lower surfacing GF.

That's ScubaPro "Human factors". The regular AI computer with GTR will only do what you say: calculate how many breaths you have let in your tank ass-u-me-ing your breathing rate isn't going to change.
My reference was solely to breathing rate. If two divers are having the same dive but breathing at different rates, there is no difference in NDL.

If a diver is breathing harder than normal because of increased work, then that will increase the blood flow through the tissues (perfusion). Increased perfusion will affect both on-gassing and off-gassing, which is why many decompression divers do light exercise during decompression.

In that case, breathing rate is an indicator that the diver is working harder and thus having greater perfusion, but the breathing rate itself is not a factor in the on-gassing or off-gassing.

My reference was solely to breathing rate. If two divers are having the same dive but breathing at different rates, there is no difference in NDL.
I decided to make another point clear (if possible), something I have often seen people confused about.

When you are diving, your body accumulates nitrogen, most of which must be lost before surfacing. For most dives, your body can ascend directly to the surface without stopping. At some point, though, your body must stop on the way up, a decompression stop, or it will get decompression sickness. Although we almost never talk about it that way, when your body can go directly to the surface at a safe rate, your body is within its personal no decompression limit.

We don't know when that is, though, so over more than a century, studies have been done to try to find a way to predict that limit, and thus we have tables and computers to guide us. They can never be perfect, though, because not only are we all different from one another, we are different from ourselves on different days. When the tables or computers think we are within no decompression limits, it is really the computer table or computer that is within NDLs. In the overwhelming majority of cases, if your computer is within NDLs, then your body will be, too, but that is not always the case.

So when we talk about breathing or perfusion or temperature or anything else affecting our NDL, we are talking about our bodies, not the computers. In most cases, individual differences during a dive will not affect the computer (other than breathing rate with an air integrated computer). Some computers will try to adjust according to things like heart rate, but I know of no study that can guide such an adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom