Breathing rate, air integrated computers and DCI correlation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaverdivers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Due to the off-topic discussion that ensued, this thread was split from one in the Accidents and Incidents forum. The original thread may be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/464715-bent-i-guess-really-can-happen-me.html Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Have you ever used an air integrated dive computer? It might show that you were breathing incorrectly. Were you using short shallow breaths? Did you have a workload?

Have you ever used a heart rate monitor while diving? It might indicate a workload.

We had an older female diver get a "hit" after doing two long 50' - 60' dives in Cozumel. She had a long surface interval 1.5 hours. She was diving 21% O2.

After six months she did a dive using both a non - air integrated & air integrated computer. We downloaded both computers.
The non-air integrated computer showed a perfect dive. The air integrated computer showed a workload throughout her entire dive. Her surface air consumption was consistant, .4 cu/min. I believe this workload was due to short shallow breathing, leading to improper gas exchange. This resulted in the bends.

After her "hit", she was able to correct her breathing by using an air integrated dive computer. She always uses 32% EAN or higher. She has not had any further incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members have posted that your "hit" was deserved. Using their illogic, thousands of divers would be bent everyday. Are they?

I believe that there were factors that contributed to your "hit". Those factors are the reason that you got bent. Age, dehydration & PFO may have been elements. Also, diving 21% O2. If you would have been diving 32% EAN, 36% EAN or 40% EAN, would you have received the "hit"?

Have you ever used an air integrated dive computer? It might show that you were breathing incorrectly. Were you using short shallow breaths? Did you have a workload?

Have you ever used a heart rate monitor while diving? It might indicate a workload.

We had an older female diver get a "hit" after doing two long 50' - 60' dives in Cozumel. She had a long surface interval 1.5 hours. She was diving 21% O2.

After six months she did a dive using both a non - air integrated & air integrated computer. We downloaded both computers.
The non-air integrated computer showed a perfect dive. The air integrated computer showed a workload throughout her entire dive. Her surface air consumption was consistant, .4 cu/min. I believe this workload was due to short shallow breathing, leading to improper gas exchange. This resulted in the bends.

After her "hit", she was able to correct her breathing by using an air integrated dive computer. She always uses 32% EAN or higher. She has not had any further incidents.

A SAC of .4 seems pretty good - typo?

Do you have any references supporting your suggestion that breathing technique has an effect on on-gassing and off-gassing of N2 to the extent that it may lead to DCI?

How many people are now thinking, "...the integrated air computer was able to fix what the dive instructor did not."

Reactions: Jax
A SAC of .4 seems pretty good - typo?
Correct .4 cuft/min.She is a small person. I would say her SAC was normal to a bit on the high side.
Do you have any references supporting your suggestion that breathing technique has an effect on on-gassing and off-gassing of N2 to the extent that it may lead to DCI?
Didn't I just give you one?

How many people are now thinking, "...the integrated air computer was able to fix what the dive instructor did not."
Actually, this incident occurred back in the late 90's. The female diver happened to be our manager's wife. It resulted in us completely changing our training program to include using air integrated dive computers as a tool to better train divers from Open Water on up.

In her case, we used the air integrated dive computer to analyze her dives. This info gave us the biofeedback to properly instruct her and enable her to fix her problem.

As an IDC Staff Instructor, do you download your students dives?

Didn't I just give you one?

I don't see your belief, "I believe this workload was due to short shallow breathing, leading to improper gas exchange. This resulted in the bends. " as a reference.

How many more minutes until Beaver puts up a "Click to Order integrated computer! It'll save you from the Bends!" in his sig...

:popcorn:
Have you ever used an air integrated dive computer? As a diver has significant workload, their No Stop time decreases giving the diver less bottom time. Yes, following this procedure may result in lowering the risk of the " Bends "!

( WoW! I hadn't thought of that " Hot Deal " here on Scubaboard :D:D:D )

...As a diver has significant workload, their No Stop time decreases giving the diver less bottom time. Yes, following this procedure may result in lowering the risk of the " Bends "
Ridiculous. Most AI computers do not reduce NDL due to air burn, they reduce ATR (Air Time Remaining). The NDL is affected by time at depth, not the rate of inspired gas.

Ridiculous. Most AI computers do not reduce NDL due to air burn, they reduce ATR (Air Time Remaining). The NDL is affected by time at depth, not the rate of inspired gas.

some dive computers will tailor decompression due to workload, however this is not done with air integration and measuring how fast the diver is going through gas, it is done with an integrated heart rate monitor.

However, it is totally unnecessary IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom