Breathing out through the nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tex, good for you! Perseverance and practice are the only ways to get more comfortable. I too was very anxious at first, and I still have to think about not nose breathing with my mask on.

I bought myself a Mk25/S600 set after my first day of diving because I wanted to ensure I had a reg that breathed easily. The rental regs were not as high a quality and I found them to require more breathing effort.

I wanted to report on my Key Largo trip for OWC. I am now a certified open water diver! yeah! Seriously, the conditions were great, the water was clear and all of my skills went well. I still don't like to flood my mask or take it off, but with more practice I'm sure it will become easier.

I still tell those that say they could never do it, "If I can perservere and succeed, anyone can!" Now I'm going to do some research over on the equipment threads before I purchase gear. Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. I'm looking forward to many diving trips in the future!

Congratulations!

I still don't like to (fully) flood my mask either. There's just something about getting my eyes wet that feels strange...

This is like a trip down memory lane for me. I was a instructors nightmare! Struggle with mask skills was a understatement! However I was determined and committed to overcome these issues. I started with purge valve mask and progressed on to regular masks. I still catch myself breathing out my nose but it is improving and so mutch better! I once hated removing my mask now I actually like it and find it relaxing to breath without it! Sounds crazy but it is true. Just dont loose heart, if it is a struggle determine to overcome it! In my case diving transformed my life and gave me a desire to continue training! Tex, congratulations on your OW certification and good luck with your future diving. Goby hang in there it will only get better, diving is not rocket science. It just takes practice and it is a blast to train. Use every dive to hone your skills till they are second nature! Let us know how you do. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I found in the pool, at least, that mask clearing and swimming without, was so much easier if I just closed my eyes for a few moments. You then don't see the waterline rising in front of your eyes. Once the mask is flooded, I actually can open them fine. We'll see how easy this will be in the ocean. Literally less than two weeks away for my trip.

--Len

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom