Breathing out through the nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often wonder if instructors should require snorkeling experiences first? I had no problems at all in training, but then I had already conquered the mask skills in several snorkeling experiences - using a cheap mask, fins, and simple tube from a sporting good store, no valve - even free diving and clearing the snorkel on surfacing without looking up.

On the other hand, maybe conquering problems in OW is good, makes for a more careful diver rather than an overconfident one?

If breathing out though your nose makes you more comfortable, go ahead and do it.

I'm not aware of any prohibition on breathing out through your nose. If it works for you, do it. My sinuses aren't great so I often have to blow my nose underwater.

Does the aforementioned nose blowing take place with the mask in place?

<< Does the aforementioned nose blowing take place with the mask in place? >>

Heh heh. No. But it is surprisingly easy to exhale forcefully through the nose into the water column, thus blowing it. Also rather disgusting, so choose your buddy carefully.

What I'm going to say is redundant. Comfort is 2nd next to breathing. If you have a good comfort level you will have a better dive. Do what makes you comfortable...just relax and control your breathing. And if that means blowing bubbles out your nose.......
The more you dive the more you will relax. A lot of what you are thinking about will become second nature. Comfort..

There is no reason you cannot exhale through your nose. It should have been told to you during your open water cert. that exhaling through your nose is how you equalize the pressure inside your mask and prevent a mask squeeze. Feel free to exhale that way all you want.

This has been a great discussion for me. I will be making my owc dives this weekend in Key Largo. During my pool sessions, I struggled with R&R of my mask because I always got water up my nose trying to breathe out through my nose. They say that nose breathers can have a more difficult time with this skill. My instructor called PADI to inquire about being able to hold my nose without my mask on, then replacing it and clearing. They said no problem, not against the rules.

I still can't clear my mask by leaning my head back, but I can finally clear it just by blowing forcefully through my nose with my face looking straight ahead.

I had problems with anxiety during pool work, but perservered to pass the pool skills. My instructor allowed me to use her MK25/S600 because I felt I couldn't get enough breath with the rental regs. That made a huge difference for me. I'm praying that I won't have any of the "anxiety" during my owc and will relax and have a great time! Thanks for all the good info and encouragemnt all of you give!

This has been a great discussion for me. I will be making my owc dives this weekend in Key Largo. During my pool sessions, I struggled with R&R of my mask because I always got water up my nose trying to breathe out through my nose. They say that nose breathers can have a more difficult time with this skill. My instructor called PADI to inquire about being able to hold my nose without my mask on, then replacing it and clearing. They said no problem, not against the rules.

I still can't clear my mask by leaning my head back, but I can finally clear it just by blowing forcefully through my nose with my face looking straight ahead.

I had problems with anxiety during pool work, but perservered to pass the pool skills. My instructor allowed me to use her MK25/S600 because I felt I couldn't get enough breath with the rental regs. That made a huge difference for me. I'm praying that I won't have any of the "anxiety" during my owc and will relax and have a great time! Thanks for all the good info and encouragemnt all of you give!

Well done on your perserverence and good luck with the open water dives. Just remember your training, think of what you've achieved so far, and you'll be fine.

Breathing out the nose has had an advantage for me and my mustach it keeps positive pressure inside the mask and keeps water from pouring in around my mustach. Also keeps mask equalized and helps with the ears.

Like many in the thread, I regularly exhale through my nose. Probably 95% of the time.

However, if my mask is off, I'll exhale through my mouth to keep the bubbles out of my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom