Breathing out through the nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
During mask clearing, we obviously breathe out through the nose, but I have a question on that in other circumstances. If we get the mask kicked off our face completely, is breathing out through the nose okay as we are recovering? I find it pretty easy to breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose, but my instructor said it's not a good idea because it may make you actually inhale back in through the nose.

I actually had trouble mask with the mask clearing when filling the mask, because I felt water going up my nose and felt no way to stop it. Breathing out through the nostrils, at least for me, reminds my brain that I can always clear water from my nose, so there is no reason to panic.

We're going to be doing our swim with only a regulator tomorrow in the pool, so I wanted to hear from more experienced divers and instructors on how strict I should be about exhaling through the nose.

I'm not an "experienced" diver (I am certified though), but anyone should tell you to go ahead and breathe out through your nose as and when you please. To me, becoming confident that you can prevent water from going up your nose is the key to confident mask clearing. Breathing out through your nose anytime during the process (such as when your mask isn't on your face!) is the key to keeping a dry nose.

Remembering to not breathe in through your nose will become second nature with practice. Another tip that helped me is to KEEP LOOKING DOWNWARDS UNLESS YOU ARE ACTUALLY BREATHING OUT THROUGH YOUR NOSE.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm not aware of any prohibition on breathing out through your nose. If it works for you, do it. My sinuses aren't great so I often have to blow my nose underwater.

Since I started swimming regularly, the relex to breath through my nose takes over. I've been breathing through my nose while diving 80% of the time. One thing it guarantees is, I will never have a mask squeeze and blood shot eyes! It is kinda annoying however, as you might get increaesed air build up under your hood, especially in cold water, it can have a chilling effect!

I'd tend to go with your Instructor's suggestions - which is a very good rule unless there is a strong reason not to do so. Suddenly losing your mask just could possibly lead to a panic - not necessarily, but it's to good to keep recoveries simple just in case.

Once you get the mask on, then exhale thru the nose to clear.

Fisher: "as you might get increaesed air build up under your hood" is easy to fix if your hood does not have exhaust holes. Heat the metal end of an ice pick or skinny screwdriver on the kitchen stove then poke 3 or 4 holes. Air trapped in a hood or beanie can be a problem, especially if your mask strap is outside of it - altho it should be inside. :wink:

I will exhale out my nose every couple of breaths. It seems to help my ears stay clear and keep water out of the bottom of the mask.
Jim breslin

I too breath out my nose throw out the dive. It keeps my ears open. I have never had red eye or a ring around my face.

but my instructor said it's not a good idea because it may make you actually inhale back in through the nose.

I see no problem with this and have had students(having problems with mask R&R) do this, during mask R&R I have not seen a student yet actually inhale water through there nose doing this.

It's all about control.

Another vote for the affirmative. Throughout all dives I'll regularly breathe out through my nose. Often after taking a breathe, I'll breathe some of it out through my nose, and some out my mouth. It doesn't really make any difference, just what you're comfortable with. And it will most definitely keep your mask squeeze down to a minimum, or non existent. On ascent, take a short suck through your nose to get the mask to seal properly against your face again.

I am a constant nose breather. The biggest problem I have with it is my mask defog tends not to last as long, but then I can always flood & clear, if I need. For the longest time I had to really concentrate to not inhale water through the nose, now it's 2nd nature.

I did recently have a student in a class I was assisting with, who claimed he did not know how to exhale only through their nose. He also had massive problems putting his face in the water for the first hour of class, but kept trying & finally got it. I have to admit I was rather taken aback. I tried to give him some suggestions as how to do it & I must give him credit, he kept practicing the entire class, but I don't think he ever got the hang of it. In the end he dropped out of the class. Whether or not he'll try again, I don't know. I have to admit, that was certainly a new one on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom