breathing apparatus that will allow breathing underwater without tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan:
I think its the biggest load of rubbish and pseudoscience I've read to date, excluding the creationism thread.

And what do you have against creationism? Are you denying that "in the beginning there was water and there was dry land, and the fish were without photographers. Mssr. Cousteau and friends developed a set of demand valves so they could stay submerged longer by breathing from compressed air canisters, and they saw it was rapturously good."

Just a thought,

but people said we'd never fly
they said we'd never go faster than sound
they said we'd never reach space
or put a man on the moon
or reach to the bottoms of the seas

They said that 8k of memory is all you would ever need
they said that the internet had no future
and that steam would rule the world forever

They said that the Titanic would never be found
That global warming was a fraud
and that television was a fad

they underestimated, overanalysed, criticized, berated and threatened the first manufacturer to put seatbelts in a car.

they spent decades looking for Einstein's mistake

and they'll read this post and think that *this* situation is somehow different, or that I am full of ****.

The point I'm trying to make is that if there is one common thread through history, it's that we have proven over and over again that the critics, regardless of how vocal, can be, and often are, wrong.

I don't know much about the science behind this thing but I don't care. I love dreamers because without them we'd still be killing our food with pointy sticks, we'd still be waiting around for forest fire so we could cook and we'd still mostly be dead by the age of 40.

R..

Sure, people have been wrong about some things like you mention above, but they've also called it right about lots of other things. So maybe selective examples aren't the way to go.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of SOMEDAY somebody achieving what that inventor claims to have done right now, but I think the real beef people are having is that his system (as he describes it and how it currently exists) cannot work as he says it does.

Okay, having read the linked (translated?) article, I guess I'll chime in.

Regarding "dissolved air", the guy obviously knows the difference between air an oxygen, as the open vs. closed explanation made apparent, and I don't imagine anyone here questions that water can contain dissolved gases. That leaves the question of whether you can use a centrifuge to extract dissolved gases from water.

If you lower the pressure on a volume of water to a point where a portion of the dissolved gases come out of solution, you can certainly get bubbles. (Hehe, can we call it "bent water"?) If you bring that volume of gas and water back to its original pressure, the equilibrium state will be for the gases to return to solution. Your two options, then, would be to remove the evolved gases at the lower pressure (suck the bubbles and use a pump to increase the pressure to ambient), or allow the fluid to return to ambient pressure and extract the remaining bubbles before the gases return to solution. I would venture to guess that the former is the method the device in question would use, as I do not believe the transient mixed phase flow would survive long enough for useful extraction, but I could be wrong.

I find no inherent problem with the concept of extracting some of the dissolved gases from the water, although I am skeptical about the described energy requirements. I am far more curious, however, when it comes to asking what gases are dissolved in seawater at a given place and time as well as how significant water quality (dissolved gas profile?) would be to a theoretical "mechanical gill".

My knowledge of rebreathers is not adequate to formulate useful questions as to the composition of the evolved gases, but I would imagine the possible gases involved as well as the water vapor component (it would certainly be humidified) would be important considerations.

(Incidentally, this would seem almost completely useless below the thermocline in the lakes near me. I've seen their oxygen concentration and temperature vs. depth graphs, and there's almost nothing to breathe down there, even if you had a great mechanical gill.)

I say... Never underestimate progress. In 1920 Nobody thought of a weapon that could blow up an entire city... Now we have the capability to destroy 100x that with a single hydrogen bomb. But in 20 more years we developed the first nukes.

And they say we are increasing at a technologically exponential rate. Imagine what we'll be developing at/by 2050.

Tassie_Rohan:
I think its the biggest load of rubbish and pseudoscience I've read to date, excluding the creationism thread.

Cheers,
Rohan.

You forgot to mention the cold fusion and evolution ones as well.

Those without vision and faith dismissed as ridiculous the idea of using water as fuel for an automobile engine by dropping a concentrated hydrogen pellet in the tank. Now, of course, we take this for granted, and laugh about the old days when people had to "fill up' their "gas tanks" with some sort of petroleum product.

A number of organizations are working on a system that will allow divers possessing at least 10 specialty certifications to simply breathe water, using their lungs to extract the O directly from the H2O.

I think it will happen if people want it to happen. computers used to fill a room, planes flew at 60 knots and smallpox was a killer.

It is just a matter of solving some small technical problems.

Actually in my previous lie as a Nuclear Chemist (circa 1990) I investigated Cold Fusion for an article for Radiation Protection Management Magazine (If you do a google on "Ault radiation Cold Fusion" you will see a couple of hits referencing my article, but alas the article itself is gone with the ether) a number of well documented papers showed something was going on, however, it wasn't very repeatable and not very controllable. The Japanese spent over 4 billion researching it, they probably wouldn't have done that if there was nothing there.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom