breast feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha:
I also think Diver Dennis is quite right.

In Toronto, it is legal for women to be topless, though you rarely see it. Women got that right because it was declared unconstitutional for men to be allowed to be topless but not women. So it may appear legally to be less conservative, but in my experience, most moms are pretty discreet around here. You usually don't see anything. The rare times you do, it may be because the child is having difficulty latching on or the child withdraws suddenly.

Catherine, just a matter of interest since you brought up the notion of a woman being property. Do you know where the term "Mrs" comes from? People once used to say, for example, she's "the Mister's", and it got shortened to "Mrs". It was considered to be a declaration of property. This is why many women, such as myself, do not use the title "Mrs". I prefer to tick off "no title" or "Ms" if I must. eyebrow

Where in the world did you get that? The abbreviation Mrs. is a shortened form of "Mistress"- the traditonal term for the lady of the house.

yeppers... (chickdiver, i'm about to agree with you, brace yourself)

the title mrs comes from "Mistress" and was originally applied to both married
and unmarried women of position. it was the equivalent of "Mr" for Mister.
it was used to indicate respect for women of a higher station than the
speaker (sort of like "M'am" today).

sometime in the 17th century it became used to denote married women
and "Miss" because used to denote single women.

grasshopper :D

dude, i'm ho chi min

:57:

bjpell:
I have never met a married man or woman who was ok with the other showing their sexual organs in public (married strippers excluded:D ). Last I knew the female Breast was considered a sexual organ.

The definition of a sex organ is one that is involved in reproduction. Since when have breasts been an integral part of procreation? Please look it up. I would not want sex organs shown in public either. Look at billboards and other types of sexual advertising used everywhere. I hardly think that women who might breast feed in public have any thoughts of "showing off their breasts".
So if it is not considered a sex organ, why is it different from any other part of the body? Unless that is, they are deemed sexy by society. Many people find legs sexy or even the nape of the neck. What about the huge uproar over mini skirts when they came out? Societies' morals evolve. The things we, including our children, see on television today would never have been seen even 10 years ago. I've seen thinly veiled breasts on the side of buses. That is using sex to sell and you can make your own mind up about that. Do not try to equate the natural act of breast feeding with some sort of advertising or make it into something dirty or immoral if it is done in public.

catherine96821:
well, I care about other's sentiments but if he can come on here and blather away about "a nip" then I can certainly feed my baby.

All this talking about the woman in terms of belonging to some other guy is putting my panties in a wad. I am feeling an attack of feminism coming on.

You know, lets be an honest. A lot of this is regional to a large extent. And since I will always live in places where most people don't get worked up about breastfeeding, then why should I mind if someplace else a grown man wants to be traumatized by a...."nip".

ROFL

Perhaps we should have all the cows, dogs cats etc cover up there nips. . . just in case he has a har ....sorry I mean heart attack

bjpell:
I have never met a married man or woman who was ok with the other showing their sexual organs in public (married strippers excluded:D ).

well, there are married nudists who do this regularly.

also, there's tons of topless beaches in Europe and the US, and married couples
go there too (i assume?) (there is no way in HELL i am parading around
naked nowhere)

but i don't think "breast-feeding" equates to showing sexual organs in public.

i mean, baby's hungry, what you gonna do?

personally, anybody who is upset by the sight of a mom breastfeeding her
baby has some serious issues... it's natural, and it ain't no big deal.
breasts are for breast feeding (hence the bame, huh?)

(Catherine, you can come over my neck of the woods and breast-feed
any time you want! :14: )

Catherine:
All this talk of sex organs and breasts... Maybe you should send that cold, uptight married guy a huge collection of colorful sex organs to show that you meant him no harm...you know, a bouquet of lovely flowers.

hahahahhee. well, there is an idea. Lots of stamens of course. I just don't get all the animosity.

And don't forget the pollen.. He might get it on his nose if it's not too high in the air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom