Breakwater Dive Report - 2/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because we go so far from shore I made two "BC"s for each scooter with 40lbs lift each. I used TUSA snorkelling vests which are made from a very thick and tough material. It also protects the scooters from sand and rocks on shore and on boats they can be inflated to cushion the scoots from bouncing in rough water. A motorcycle bungee net surrounds them and compresses them into the body of the scooter. No appreciable drag but a great place to store bottles, shells and other ocean finds in the bungee net. On the upper photo the black thing on top of mine is a tank carrier handle from Trident which lets me carry the scooters one handed and works very well.

As a differing point of view, we routinely are 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile off shore, and do not use a scooter BC. We do carry lift bags, but that's a multi-purpose tool.

...not saying anything bad, because I'm a firm believer a diver should optimize their gear for the mission, and I'm sure it is perfect for Katamuki and his wife. Just that it's not something we do.

All the best, James

We carry bags as well. The original reason and still the primary is we have to carry the scooters over volcanic limestone that is very very sharp with gas pockets for some distance. To put a scooter down for second will scratch and ding the crap out of it. The BC provides a great deal of protection and lets us set it down in less than a foot of water when inflated for a small break while traversing the sharp stuff. Thats the joys of living on little islands in the Pacific!

Yes, I'd imagine a trek over volcanic ironshore is a bit different than a "MoCal Lobos entry"......

IMGP1113.jpg

:D

All the best, James

Yes, I'd imagine a trek over volcanic ironshore is a bit different than a "MoCal Lobos entry"......

IMGP1113.jpg

:D

All the best, James

Wow that's a LOT easier entry than last Sunday. Luvin that high tide :D!

Heck I could drive the boat into the parking lot! Load up, then wait for the next wave to suck it back out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom