Breakwater Dive Report - 2/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scooters and singles are fine as long as you don't lose situational awareness. See the Mo2 and HBdivegirl model of diving. They expanded their area of coverage laterally not deeper. And the divesites they have are rather difficult to dive in dubs.

Dubs are more a function of what would limit the dive plan.. Gas? NDL? Scooter burn time? That being said a lot of the local scooter crowd dive their dubs because then we have plenty of gas to either go deeper or longer depending on the conditions.

As far as newer divers and scooter: The key is to be aware and capable of handling everything that's going on at the same time. It's like driving and drinking coffee, talking inthe phone tuning the radio all at the same time... And just like driving if you aren't aware it's easy to just blast by that turn you were supposed to make or worse run out of gas as you are enjoying the sights.

ps: Also some of the doubles guys don't have single tanks anymore and/or don't want to bother with having to change over the config to singles. I will bring out the singles if the situation calls for singles (LA type beach diving goat trails)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With everything that happened I still think it was a great day and a great dive. I'm never kicking out to Met Fields again. I was awed by the size of the field and by how much ground you can cover with the scooter. I loved doing on long dive and really the weight of the extra tank wasn't that much. I do need to play with trimming out the doubles though.

I did take away some important lessons about awareness, buddy communication, navigation, and even about watching the NDLs and such.

Hey Mike,

Sounds like quite an adventure! It must be tons of fun to have all those toys. Really glad you were able to chill out after the jelly hit :crafty:

I'm with Ben in thinking doubles and scooters are alot to take on at once. I've heard scooter navigation & air share are two important skills you should master before doing scooter dives and I'm sure the scooter divers can suggest more.

It's much different to dive in doubles than in singles, so it seems to me it's a good thing to learn to dive the cylinders without a scooter before you find yourself stranded someday and needing to kick home.

Please be careful Mike.

Sounds like you had another great adventure diving.

Glad you're OK and had lots of fun.

Wow. I hope your butt is okay after that fall. That would have put me off the entire day right there. Well, ... maybe not. :) Glad you are getting out there and toyin' up!

I have video from the dive and I will dry to get an upload this week. No, I did not get him running into the Jelly on video, but I will say this; I have no idea why people feel the need to spend on Botox. The stinging cells on Mike's lips gave exactly the same sexy hot lips as Botox. I simple trip out to breakwater and you to can have some pretty spicey lips.

The stinging cells on Mike's lips gave exactly the same sexy hot lips as Botox.

It's rather disturbing/scary that you think Mike has a pretty mouth. :shocked2: :rofl3:

As for navigating with a scooter, sometimes it's just more fun to blow off navigation and just go see what you can find. Just do that on the first dive with a fresh charge in case you get a little lost. I've popped up a half mile from the boat before after covering a couple miles underwater. That why they make big batteries! Run the same areas enough times and you'll start to recognize where you are and then you'll have references with which to navigate and judge distances from. There's a learning curve as usual.

Have fun,

Jon

So when I got home Saturday I checked my repair kit and didn't send any blades in there so I fired off an email to Dive-X to see if it was covered under warranty and if it was user replaceable. After then talking to you all and checking online I see it is easy to replace and they are fairly cheap so I put an order in for 3.

Well today I got an email response from the VP who answered my questions completely. At this point I'm happy. Then a few hours later I get another email from another employee letting me know they canceled my order and are sending me three blades under warranty. Wow, I am stunned.

Now about the lip: So Sunday it felt like a mild sunburn but today it is a little puffy. Meh.

You are crazy Mike! My first dive with a scooter was in singles and my first dive in doubles was a training dive. Now with over 150+ scooter dives I rarely use mine anymore. You are gonna need a boat next! :rofl3: Just setting the process in motion for the next toy :D

FWIW I broke the AUL hub on my scooter and didn't realize it until after a dive at Lobos where I realized it was running a little slow, with a wobble. I figure I broke it at Gerstle Cove coming out of the water previously diving. (My plastic blades are pinned, but I have been running aluminum for a long time). Often I set my scooter down on the tail as I come out of the water to balance myself and unload some weight. Nothing like packing more than I weight. Anyhow I figure I broke it setting it down on a rock wrong. Typical for me when stumbling out of the water in doubles over slippery rocks, to use my scooter as a third leg. Oh well lesson learned, don't set the scoot down on the blades, only on the edge. Never had a problem setting it on the sand though.

Totally crazy!

Glad you had a good adventure, and your sting is now a minor annoyance.

The Cuda is a beast, be careful out there.

Totally crazy!

Glad you had a good adventure, and your sting is now a minor annoyance.

The Cuda is a beast, be careful out there.

Hey Don,

Now you only need me to get a Cuda 650 and then you can really take Mike M. and I out on our doubles training this month... :D

Just kidden, I'm so looking forward to just our doubles training class together with Miller, hopefully I will get in some pool sessions before the ocean dive.

So Mike M. are you excited about our doubles class coming up? I know I am, and looking forward to seeing that monster scooter of yours... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom