Breakwater Dive Report - 2/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some video from the dive (sorry, no video lights):

YouTube - Breakwater February 6 2010.wmv

Nice video. Love the jellies dancing to the spanish lyrics :). Ok, I admit I'm having scooter envy :D!

Hey Mike M, I'm curious how well the force fins propel the doubles with the scooter slung over your shoulder? Did you get a chance to check it out?

Does the back kick work? Even with the rigid jets it takes a little bit to get going in doubs. Just wondering if the flexible force fins have enough power?

Great video indeed!

Anyone plans to do PM dive on 2/20th in Breakwater? I would love to join. (No scooter here so just regular fin propelled dive.)

Cool video Mike,

Looks like Miller is handling the Cuda nicely and his forfins are acting as small rutters. I expected the Cuda to look bigger in the water and it doesn't seem all that bad.

I'm only 5'5 and thought the Cuda would be too big for me, but I am having second thoughts. I don't want to get the smaller scooter and have less time on my dives than the big kids. :)

Are they hard to get in/out of the water? How bad are they to lug on the boats? Once they are in the water it's a different story.

Looking at the X-scooters, the Sierra looks nice and upgradeable to accept more batteries for longer dives with just the casing. But should one just opt for the Cuda and be done?

Is there a size difference in length on the Cuda 650 over the Cuda 850? Just curious because I didn't see any reference to dimensions on the website.

Thanks,

MG

Nice video. Love the jellies dancing to the spanish lyrics :). Ok, I admit I'm having scooter envy :D!

Hey Mike M, I'm curious how well the force fins propel the doubles with the scooter slung over your shoulder? Did you get a chance to check it out?

Does the back kick work? Even with the rigid jets it takes a little bit to get going in doubs. Just wondering if the flexible force fins have enough power?

I didn't really do any forward kicking but the back kick was just fine even in the bad trim I had.

Cool video Mike,

Looks like Miller is handling the Cuda nicely and his forfins are acting as small rutters. I expected the Cuda to look bigger in the water and it doesn't seem all that bad.

I'm only 5'5 and thought the Cuda would be too big for me, but I am having second thoughts. I don't want to get the smaller scooter and have less time on my dives than the big kids. :)

Are they hard to get in/out of the water? How bad are they to lug on the boats? Once they are in the water it's a different story.

Looking at the X-scooters, the Sierra looks nice and upgradeable to accept more batteries for longer dives with just the casing. But should one just opt for the Cuda and be done?

Is there a size difference in length on the Cuda 650 over the Cuda 850? Just curious because I didn't see any reference to dimensions on the website.

Looks like you and I are thinking about very similar things these days. :)

My wife and I wander around offshore up to 10,000 feet and to mark finds we used a GPS in an otter box and send it up with a reel, its a great way to make maps. If you use the Magellan GPS you can set it to remain not only on but to keep the backlight on during the entire dive. A set of rechargeable AA's last about 6 hours straight.

In this pic I am setting a mark with the GPS...
2874694170100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

As for being small, my wife is 5'2" and the Cuda is no problem in size, the only problem is she is MUCH faster than me and often runs up to two speeds slower. When we dive singles about 95% of the time we use a 40 for bailout but then we are often a mile offshore together.

2350053440100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom