BP/Wings Users -- Who has what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:jester:

Halcyon SS 36# / AL80

I have loved my OMS IQ ever since I acquired it second hand a few years ago. I really bought it to help a buddy out who was having hard times, and I probably paid way too much for it. I don't think so now. It fits like a glove and feels like it’s bolted to my back. I got the dual 100# bladders by default, but I really, really like them. I have a homemade "spreader plate" that keeps the wings flat against the backplate when I use a single (PST HP120s) tank. I like the positive action of the bungees when I have to vent gas (I haven't tried it for the infamous "Warhammer Manouver"). Even if I am not in that "perfect" position, I can usually get the gas out and do what I need to do (like fetch a student).

As for snagging, the bungees are always lower than the rest of the bag... out of the way. I have yet to be snagged! They also minimise the air from surging back and forth, aiding in my trim.

As for "too much"... I see guys who add buoyancy with their dry suit and have no qualms about it. But they get all in a flurry 'cause I use the extra buoyancy of my BC. I don't buy that, and it comes across as they just don't like it, 'cause they don't. They talk about redundancy and ignore the fact that when they use their isolation manifold, they have just isolated their ONLY BC inflator. I've got two!!! OK, I keep the right side "unplugged" and bungeed down unless I need it. But just one click and yank, and it's there.

As for the buddy who sold me the IQ... he bought a Halcyon (I think) and was NOT happy with it after his dive. He didn't ask for the IQ back (though I think he wanted to), and I never offered.

To Net DOC,

Amen, Amen, Amen, And DITTO.
I can't put into words as well as you but I have around 300 dives with my Oms IQ and have yet to have a problem, much less a failure. I begin to wonder about divers who take "courses" and just take for granted that all these experts know what is good for them. You can bet your --- "they" didn't arrive at their conclusions just because someone said so in a high priced course.
You have to take some things and try them yourself. Now before anyone gets on their HIGH horse. I am not advocating just buying and diving. But believe it or not there are other ways of learning than taking a course. My ideas are based on deciding what I like, getting many different opinions on the eq needed to pursue it, and then to practice/practice /practice till I have the skills needed to perform said activiity to a high degree of competency. I study all the different agencies training procedures and then take what I like from each. I am willing to bet there are many of you out there that agree.

Happy diving all !! no matter what you dive in

Foothillsdiver

Beast and I are just starting to put a BP/Wing together. We have a FredT AL BP with a gizillion feet of webbing....which was real fun when you don't remember how it goes and can't find the website with the picture of how to rig one! So simple we felt really stupid!

Waiting now on a wing from Bob3 to complete the FredT design. We have until March to get it all together.

I have a DiveRite Transpac II - I like it - but I don't love it - this thing does not look much like a transpac anymore as the fluff has been removed - I took the cumberbund of right away - and have since peeled things off - I dive it like a BP, but it's not as comfortable as the SS - so I am switching pretty soon...

I have heard of the FredT, but have never seen one nor do I know where to get one - it's between that and a Halcyon BP, probably a 36# and a 55# wing... As soon as I find that FredT thing and get a good look at it.

Any links folks?
Big T

WD,

I would definately get the Fred T plate over the Halcyon because he has a 9lb SS plate for under a $100 (Halcyon 6lb plate is about $140). It's not as purdy as the Halcyon and others, but who cares? My buddy has one downstairs right now actually. I don't know if Fred has a website, but this is his contact info:

Fred Tagge
1581 E Second St
Pass Christian, MS 39571
ftagge@goldinc.com

Just e-mail him for a flyer and a price list -- he has everything except the wings. If someone is looking for a hassle free BC, then the Halcyon is still the way to go. If you don't mind putting one together yourself, there are cheaper ways to go without losing quality and practicallity.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Hey Mike,

As far as the Pioneer wings being unstable, I have heard of that before, but there is a solution to it -- I don't know what it is. Contact EE. I believe you can use an STA with the Pioneer wings too if you want. I use an Explorer wing which doesn't have the STA built in.

Several users of the pioneers had complained to me about the "instability" of the system. A couple got new replacement wings from H which were "better" but still not a cure all.

Several others ordered my two part "light" STA. They fit on the 11" center bolt holes outside the H inserts. They also tie everything together, make for quicker "on deck" swapouts in rough seas, and provide a rock stable platform for the single tank.

FT

Welcome to the SCUBA board!!! I hope you find as many new friends as I have and learn as much too! If you have any questions feel free to ask me or any of the other moderators on here!

FredT...

I want to echo NetDoc's welcome and glad to see you here!

It's always a pleasure to have someone of your noteriety join us. We look forward to you contributions.

--TexasMike

(PS. Thanks for sending me the flyer so promptly)

Back
Top Bottom