BP/Wings Users -- Who has what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to hear from our regular ScubaBoarders who use a BP and Wings setup, just which one you are using.

If you are using a Halcyon, OMS, TransPac, or other BP/Wings setup, post a response with what you have.

About the only ones I already know of are Iguana Don, Lost Yooper, and Tombiowambi who use the Halcyons. But I remember several folks are TransPac fans, but I have forgotten who you are.

And I'll post the reason for my question after we get a few days of responses here.

Halcyon ss B/P 55lb wing for LP95's and HP80's
Halcyon ss B/P 27lb wing for LP80

Halcyon SS bp 27lb wing, new style
Fred T Heavy SS bp, new style
Fred T AL bp, new style
Dive Rite SS bp
Dive Rite AL bp
Aul AL bp, new style
OMS 55lb wing no bunjee
OMS 65lb wing no bunjee
Dive Rite Transpac 2
Dive Rite Trek wing bunjee
New style means the New Halcyon cutout style. No need for a Single tank Adapter.

For trips I pack an AL and the 27lb wing.
On Drysuit I use 2 SS backplates for extra weight on back. Kinda mix and match for what I want.
Tanks are
2-OMS 112's LP Steel
2-Faber HP 100's Steel
4-Luxfer 80's AL
1-Catalina 80 AL

Man, I've got to much stuff.......

Mverick
Id say so!!! You got enough BC's to outfit a small army.

Ater much debate regarding AL vs. SS BP, 27 lbs vs. 55 lbs Wings, Halcyon vs. Dive Rite, I ended up with an AL Halcyon with 27 lbs. wings. To be honest I got the setup about a month ago, but I just did my first dive with it last weekend. Everything worked great, although I do have the following complaints...

1) I don't like the new Pioneer wings which have the STA built into them. It's made so that the cam straps hold the BP and wing together, but it makes it very difficult to get everything lined up straight and keep it that way. And it looks like it will be difficult to bold them together in such a way that the tank does not rest on the bolts (although I am going to try that before my next dive).

2) I'm not real fond of the Halcyon cam straps, although they might grow on me I guess. I find them a little more difficult to connect than those on traditional BCs.

3) I also got the Halcyon Storage Pak because I thought it would provide some protection from the bolts (which at the time I thought would be holding this sucker together), and also a nice place to store a lift bag, safety sausage, etc... And it is all of that (except for the bolts since it doesn't have any), but I'm not fond of the cheap plastic bolts which come with it to connect it to the BP.

I went with AL BP because I primary dive wet, and during the summer when I dive in my Microprene I usually only wear 4-6 lbs on my weight belt, so with the SS I wouldn't be wearing any and I didn't think not having any ditchable weight would be a good idea. I'm also hoping to get a Steel LP95 or LP104 soon and then I'd be overweighted.

Although I'm slowly accumulating enough gear to dive doubles I still have a ways to go, so I got the 27 lbs. wing for my single AL80.

In retrospect I might have just done with the Dive Rite, my LDS carries those and they less $$, but the Halcyon has so much hype that I just had to see it. It also already has some nicely positioned innertubes to hold backup lights, extra crotch strap belt, etc...

It really is amazing how expensive the whole setup is though compared to its simplicity, although I will grant you that my SeaQuest QD Pro cost about the same amount.

It's just too bad I have no mechanical ability what-so-ever, because anyone who does would be able to make their own BP, buy their own webbing, D-rings, and buckle, and then only worry about getting an already made wing, and make one of these for much less money (and I've seen several designs posted on the web).

Dive-Rite SS B/P,OMS sta,bladders from 18-85 from Dive-Rite,Halcyon and some who knows where from.1 piece black 2" harness(I couldn't find any pink webbing longer than 6 ft)

pgr,

I don't want to get too far off Mike's thread topic, but I have a similar rig and similar complaints. There actually is a type of nut that has a flat end that does not hit the tank. The nylon nuts/bolts have confused me as they are so cheap and everything else is so nice. I also do not understand the thought beyond not having these nuts and bolts in there, it was very hard for me to get it lined up also.

I looked into making the rig also, and my research did not show it being a whole lot cheaper to make it as opposed to buying it pre made. Since I had not seen one I would not have done it right looking back.

Along the Halcyon philosophy, steel tanks and diving wet is a nono, for the very reason you describe.

Tommy

Dive Rite
Transpac (II, I think)
SS BP
Travel wings
Classic wings
SuperWings

Sea Elite (yes, you read that right)
60lb wing

I can't say enough good about the travel wings for tropical single tank diving

The Sea Elite actually has preforned very welll, but it does not weave as nicely into the transpac as the DR wings do.

If I were to repurchase the higher lift wings, I would get Halcyon.

Whatcha up to, TM? Sumthin' expensive, sounds like....

Originally posted by watergal
Whatcha up to, TM? Sumthin' expensive, sounds like....
All will be revealed to he who has patience, grasshopper. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom