BP/Wings cheaper than BCD???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S&W Metal Products Aluminum Backplate $40.
S&W Harness Kit $38.
Dive Rite Trek Wing $200.
Total Cost $278.
Comfort, Adaptability, Versatility, Priceless

ScubaJeep:
I'm in the market for a BCD, and have seen a lot of posts where people claim that a BP/Wings setup is cheaper than a regular vest BC. However, as I am pricing each out, this does not appear to be the case. In fact, it appears that BP/wings cost almost twice as much as a cheap vest BC. While I have no problem shelling out the money for higher quality, I wanted to get some other people's opinions before I bought.

Here is what I am seeing (approximations):

Backplate: $100.00
Wings: $200.00
Tank Adapter: $60.00
Webbing and
D-rings: $10.00

$370 can get a lot of BC. Or am I misjudging something?

I think you are way low---a typical Halcyon rig without the weight system is around $550.00
Thats with a:
SS plate
Pioneer 36lbs MC
Pad
Harness

you might save $50-60 if you go with a Alum plate and make your harness.

However after that purchess, which is less than a Zeagle Ranger (retail)by the way-- you will never have to buy a new system--you can gain or lose a 100lbs and still use the same rig-- you can go to doubles just by replacing the bladder--$250 for a new wing beats having to buy a whole new rig!

ScubaJeep:
$370 can get a lot of BC. Or am I misjudging something?
No thats not alot of BC.

A Zeagle or a SP Knight Hawk will be at least that much.

And as others say, it will last you longer than the others

ElectricZombie:
I was sort of thinking that he was refering to vertical on the surface, but I wasn't sure. Even on the surface, I think the BP/wing works better. I say this because when the jacket is inflated on the surface, it tends to creep up around your head.

I have an Aqualung Patriot (which I guess counts for semi-tech BC) and it has this issue. A DIY crotch strap may be in my future, but then, I haven't had to spend much time waiting around on the surface anyway. It's still fairly new and I haven't even bothered to adjust it for my height just yet.

As far as leaning/tilting in the water goes, I do notice that my integrated weights seem to pull me forward when on the surface, but that's ok since I'm usually finning for the ladder by then and want to be semi face down. I don't have trim weights on my tank pockets but I tried some once and they tilted me backwards. I use steel 119's so have plenty of counterweight there already

I rarely inflate my BC before jumping in since I'm already underweighted at the surface. (I dive off a boat and just pull myself down the ropes to the hang bar where I then become neutrally bouyant.) I tend to think that my deflated BC seems to help me stay more upright at the surface. Maybe others have more experience with this than I do at this point.

Are your 119's neutral when empty? Hope so cause if you have to make a free ascent you may be in for some pain...

Just would hate to see you get hurt.

I have dove many different BC styles starting with the old horse collar. Currently I have a Beuchat "Tec" back inflate BC, its been a good BC. If I had it to do over I probably gone with the Zeagle. I have also dove a Dive Rite BP&W, and it was fine. IMHO my BC was more comfortable. This sport can get pretty macho. You have to be honest about the type of diving you are going to do and how much. Are you really going to go "tec", dive duels? The vast majority of us are basic OW divers on 80 alums. Any of the top back inflate BCs will work great for you and your wife. My wife has an Oceanic Athena and loves it.

JPBECK:
Are your 119's neutral when empty? Hope so cause if you have to make a free ascent you may be in for some pain...

Just would hate to see you get hurt.

I'm usually neutral with about 1000-1500 psi (~2-4lbs of air?) which is what I usually come back up with. I wear 22 pounds of integrated weights so I can dump one or both if I was really in trouble. My buddy still rents 80s until he can convince his wife that he really needs to afford some bigger tanks. That's the main reason I come back up with half a tank in case you're wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom