BP/Wings cheaper than BCD???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJeep

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a BCD, and have seen a lot of posts where people claim that a BP/Wings setup is cheaper than a regular vest BC. However, as I am pricing each out, this does not appear to be the case. In fact, it appears that BP/wings cost almost twice as much as a cheap vest BC. While I have no problem shelling out the money for higher quality, I wanted to get some other people's opinions before I bought.

Here is what I am seeing (approximations):

Backplate: $100.00
Wings: $200.00
Tank Adapter: $60.00
Webbing and
D-rings: $10.00

$370 can get a lot of BC. Or am I misjudging something?

I have had 3 BC's in my diving career. The first one was a cheap jacket (Sonic ??) The second one was a back inflate Aqualung Malibu. The third and final one is a Halcyon BP and Wing.

If I had bought the BP/Wing first I would have saved the cost of 2 BC's.

The BP/Wing MAY be more expensive initially but it will last forever and work for ANY diving you may do now or in the future

This is what I paid....

Dive Rite SS (polished) BP, Classic Wings (59#'s lift), deluxe style harness (has quick disconnect clip on left shoulder), crotch strap, ditchable weight system, 3/4" thread 200 bar manifold with isolator, and 7 1/4" tank bands (good for alum 80's or HP steels) for $579. All Dive Rite except the tank bands were Highland Mills.

This is a good price for what I got but you can get cheaper BC's. I have not priced good BC's lately but I suspect many are in the $400 and something range. Your skills can outgrow a typical BC but will not outgrow your BP/Wings rig. If I knew then what I know now I would have gone straight for the BP/wings.

--Matt

...look on eBay for a rig. I got my AUL aluminum backplate, with webbing, rings the works for $75.00. Got a set of Northern Diver wings from Bob3 for around $150.00. FredT Mini STA (two piece) was something like $20.00 (again, used). Man, I LOVE my backplate rig, and will be upgrading from the AUL plate to a FredT stainless later this season, when the money is available.

MSRP on Dive-Rite (regarded as the lowest priced - not necessarily better/worse) is:
SS BP $135
30# Venture/40# Trek $280
STA $79
Harness $39
Total $533, but of course buying in a package you can get up to 20% off that, plus tax, unless you buy online, who knows how much less that might be. You can also shave off the harness cost by buying some D-Rings, keepers and webbing for a grand total of around $10-15, you can also forget the STA and get the singles mounting straps with rubber thing that attaches to the BP for about $40 i think. So shaving the max off for an LDS would leave you paying somewhere around $375. Getting an AL BP also reduces this another $60or so.

As for BC costs, you can get a BC for $200, or some for nearer $700, i think around $400 is a nice midrange price and pretty good quality. To maximise savings from an LDS i would go with purchasing your regs and guages at the same time, if you are going online, you just get them whenever you want as the price may not change much and you wont get a discount (except fewer shipping costs) for bulk buying.

BTW, for one of the few times i agree with matt_unique :wink:

After years of active diving, I've made the full circle from using a backplate in 1974 to using a backplate in 2004. I've used, owned, and SOLD many BCD's over the past three decades.

I now use a SST BP/wings for all of my diving. I use a SST single tank adapter for recreational dives and the same plate for my doubles. Using a standard gear figuration is IMHO the key to safer diving.

My only regret? That is took me that many years to go back to the backplate configuration.

Don't get me started on the virtues of diving a long hose/bungeed backup regulator system....

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom