bp/wing use in the ocean for single tank wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you who have had experience with bp/wing use in
the ocean using a single tank wing, please comment
on your experience with it compared to a back inflate BC.
My LDS says you will get very bad chafe marks and soreness
using such a setup in the ocean. I was also told
this setup is not as stable in the ocean (I guess he
is comparing it to doubles) Would
those of you who have dove single tank wings
in the ocean please comment. thanks.

Uhm... a lot of people use BP wings for diving in the ocean... it kinda is more fun than diving in a pool! :lol:

Seriously... did you mean back-inflate BC? Or jacket BC? A BP/wing IS a back inflated BC.

If you're worried about the straps... you can get padded ones.

And about stability, quite the contrary, a BP/wing setup is a lot more stable than any other BC due to the lack of padding, and ability to really custom fit the straps to you.

I use a very thin wetsuit (1mm) and I don't find my BP rig uncomfortable at all... it matters what kind of webbing you get however... I have felt some really hard straps and I can't stand those... but the people who normally use stiffer straps use thicker wetsuits.

Please use the search function... almost everyone has asked the same question you have and this topic has been dicussed repeatedly on this board. :)

Lemme guess, your LDS doesn't carry BP or wings? :wink:

I've dived my single tank wing and backplate for about a year and a half now and it is by far the most comfortable and stable system i've used. I have used it wearing everything from just swimming shorts to a drysuit and there is no chaffing.

HTH
Nick

After trying a friend's OMS IQ, I knew it was time to trade in my traditional back-inflated BCD. I did my homework, shopped around, listened a lot on this board, and ultimately went with Zeagle's deluxe backplate and harness system with an Oxycheq 45# wing.

While shopping for the perfect harness (for me), I heard all sorts of humorously inaccurate, er, "facts" from the well-meaning (or was that profit-minded) salesdrones I spoke with. Some of the more common ones include:

"You know those things will only float you face-down."
"You can't use a single tank with wings."
"The straps chafe and aren't designed to be comfortable."
"The plate will rust; you can't use it in seawater." ??

...and my favorite?

"I've heard that people have a hard time keeping them on underwater."

...I'd like to know how in the world someone managed to let a harness slip off, especially if they were using a crotch strap!! :wink: Well, with only three dives in my new rig, I'm certainly not an expert, but I've already disproven the lot of them!

I agree that this is by far the most comfortable BCD that I've used. Underwater, it provided an incredible sense of freedom and security - the harness is inobtrusive yet holds the plate and wing to your back securely. On the surface, noticably absent was the feeling of being lifted by my armpits. In fact, it was just like... floating. :eek:ut:

First of all, the chafing argument is bs. You dont need padding underwater, there is no wieght on your shoulders when you dive. The harness is to keep the backplate secure on your back. BC's are not meant to be worn on the surface as a fashion accesory, but that is what manufacturers want you to think. A heavily padded BC is comfortable to wear for a walk down some stairs and across a beach, but it will cause unneeded drag in the water and require more wieght to get nuetral, wich in turn causes trim problems, wich increases air consumption and on and on...
A properly fit harness and backplate is more comfortable to wear on land and in the water and its benifits are too numerous to mention in one post.
I have used a stab jacket, a Dacor Rig and a S/S Backplate and #27 wing since I started diving. All my dives have been in the Pacific on the coast of California. 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, a single tank in 50-65 degree water. By far the most stable and comfortable set up I have used is my B/P&W. with the other BC's I was wearing #27 of lead to get me down, now I have #10 in a wieghtbelt and #8 in trim pockets on the tank straps. The biggest amount of chafing is on your waist anyway when you wear a belt:)
Seriously, you should try all three types and find the one that works best for you. Dont take anyone elses word for it. You are the one who has to dive with what you purchase. Choose with experience rather than opinion:wink:

jplacson -- I did use the search function but not much came up for my specific question which was ocean use with a single tank
wing. tons of general comments came up however.

why kind of webbing do you use with your 1mm?
i will be diving mostly warm and temperate water.

xevious--did the 45 give you enough lift to stay above
the waves without gulping water? my LDS said
with the ocean waves you would be gulping a lot of
water with a wing but could just air up and float (jacket
style or back inflate). also what kind of suit do you use?

robert phillips5--have you had any experience with
your setup using a thinner suit? say a 3mm?

THANKS AND KEEP THOSE COMMENTS COMING

No, I have not used it with a 3mm, but the only change you would make would be to use less lead. You will definitely have more range of motion with a lighter wetsuit, but again, the chafing is a non issue. You are not wearing it on land for long. the time it takes to get into and out of the water and to your car/blanket/spot on boat then it is off. Dont worry about how it feels out of the water, but how it feels in the water. Find some one in your area who has a BPW set up and get in the water with it properly adjusted and you will see:D
I think #45 is too much for rec diving unless you are in extremely cold water and wearing lots of lead. I am 6' and #200 and #27 keeps me out of the water just fine. DO NOT fully inflate a back flotation wing on the surface! It will force your face into the water. All you need is enough air to keep your head out of the water and you can float on your back with very little effort. I experimented with this on Sunday (14 Sept) so I know it is true from experience and we had a lot of surface swell/capillary waves in Laguna on Sunday. Doing ocean dives, you will get splashed in the face. No BC made will prevent that. If your dive shop has one, have the salesman demonstrate its capabilities in the ocean for you. Until then just keep smiling and nod your head:eek:ut: :wink:

Who is telling you this?

I dive my bp/wing all the time with a single tank in the ocean. And I dived it with just a skin on. I love it, its great.

Since you live here in Florida and will probably be diving the waters here and maybe some more tropical locals, a 27# wing is all you need for a single tank. And I have dived in all sorts of conditions with it and I have never drowned, never got chaffed by webbing, never had my plate rust.

WHat shop are you looking at doing your business with?

Glad to hear that the chaffing is really
a nonissue.

And yes I have used all 3 setups but only
in the local springs here. A bp/wing setup
beats the other two in my opinion. I like
the freedom it affords compared to the constriction
of a jacket or back inflate BCD (but some
prefer that constriction, just not me).

Wendy I would prefer not to mention
which place passed that information along
to me. Just suffice it to say, a back inflate
bc was being pushed for a hard sale.

thanks so far and looking forward to hearing
more. .......wonder how the Eclipse will do
in the ocean?.......

newbie... I think you SHOULD tell us what dumb-a$$ shop gave you that info.

Uhm... regarding your search... you kinda used weird keywords...

Just wondering... other than the ocean... where else did you think people would dive? I don't think that lakes would be that different. :wink:

here's the thing... regarding trim, etc..etc... I don't think that any BC would really give sufficient drag improvement considering how slow we fin underwater... even at max speed.

The comfort you get from a BC on land is VERY different from the comfort it gives you underwater. For the same reason that wetsuits feel tight on the surface, but are almost invisible underwater.

More lift is also NOT better... you should generally just have enough lift to float your rig... 18 lbs of lift is generally enough for tropical diving... 27 is more than enough actually.

Back
Top Bottom