bp/wing use in the ocean for single tank wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The ocean" is irrelevant. A BC serves its purpose no matter what body of water you are in. No one that I've ever heard of changes their gear configuration between ocean and freshwater dives.

A BP/wing will work in ALL diving situations that I can think of. The only problem you could encounter is on the surface, severly overweighted, with the wing fully inflated. In that case, a wing can float you face down. A back-inflate jacket will do the same thing.

The differences between a back-inflate jacket and a BP/wing are
A BP/wing some of the weight where it should be (on your torso)
A back-inflate jacket has tons of unnecessary fabric that you'll never miss.

I've never put on my backplate and thought..."Gee...if only I had some extra padding and more crap hanging around on my torso"

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
xevious--did the 45 give you enough lift to stay above
the waves without gulping water? my LDS said
with the ocean waves you would be gulping a lot of
water with a wing but could just air up and float (jacket
style or back inflate). also what kind of suit do you use?

45# of lift in warm water is overkill. With 80#, you'd probably hover just over the water. :wink:

As for the gulping water comment, this is generally where a snorkel comes in handy... And watching the waves. Might I suggest that you try a different LDS?

BTW, I was using a 3mm suit.

You're getting alot of good advice from the board, listen to them not whoever you're talking to at your LDS. He obviously doesn't understand what a BP or bouancy is. You'll never go wrong with a BP.

Your LDS is full of **it.

He obviously has never dove anywhere (fresh or ocean) with a BP/wing. He simply does not sell them so he doesn't want you to buy one.

I dive a Dive-rite BP & wings with lp85's, lp98's & HP120's. (singles not doubles)
I dive mostly offshore Key Largo.
I never have had any of the types of problems this guy is claiming.
A properly fitted BP/Wing system is the most stable BC system you can have. (IMHO).

Sounds like your LDS don't stock BP's so want to sell you a traditional BCD.

I have dived with my Zeagle BP and 55# wing with a single tank on many occasions, never had any problems, in fact it is soo very comfy indeed.

I am getting really pissed at pople that put kit down that they themselves have never tried diving in !!!

I have dove both the Pioneer 36# and the OxyCheq 45# and use a 3mm, a 5mm and a Drysuit and NEVER has the wing chapped my in any way. The most stable and streamline BC around.

Get a BP&Wings, you won't regret it.

Thanks for the input ya'll.

Looks like the LDS was trying to make
a sale.

Like I said I dove a wing/bp setup in the
springs here and really enjoyed the experience
compared with a traditional BC. When I mentioned
the positive experience, I was told the things
mentioned above (chaffing problem, buoyancy problem
with the waves, etc.) for ocean water diving.
I was told if I was using doubles I would
not have those problems.

jplacson--well, other than the ocean, there
are lakes, rivers, springs that are easy driving
for me, not to mention 40 Fathom Grotto (just north of where
I am).

soggy--what you mentioned about changing your
configuration for salt and freshwater struck me as strange also
when it was mentioned to me, but I thought "well I am
a newbie so I must be missing something". Guess
i wasn't.

looks like now i just have to decide between the oxycheq
and the new eclipse single tank wing......

I recientally used my Halcyon Bp/Wing in Cozumel and I experienced no problems excect that I had the buckle too far over and it was jabbing me in the side for a coupple of my dives without a .5mm wetsuit. But it was never enough "pain" to end my dive. Other then that I had great bouancy, trim and it felt like there was nothing on my back in the water.
Tekkie

Tekkie (or anyone else): I'm considering a trip to Little Cayman or the Brac next year. I'm new to bp/wings (just ordered my bp from FredT the other day) and plan to use it mostly for coldwarter diving. Could you tell me what kind of setup you were diving? A friend told me that bp/wing is too bulky for travel to the islands.

Thanks for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom