BP/W - why I should use a weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

What are your reasons for using a weight belt vs distributing on the bp/w with pockets and cam band?

My main concern is if you have to take the bp/w off in the water for whatever reason, you dont want to be too buoyant.

I would be doing recreational diving open/advanced water certification.

Thanks

I use a weightbelt.
I’m a firm believer in splitting up your weight between you and the rig.
There are several reasons.
I kayak dive so it’s easier to have the rig more floaty and me less floaty, it makes getting geared up in the water easier.
If I ever get in trouble I have something to ditch to get light.
It places the weight in other areas besides having all your ballast on your back.
If you ever need to R&R your rig underwater the rig is balanced and you’re balanced instead of the rig going down and you going up.

There are more advantages to putting your ballast on a belt than your rig than there are disadvantages.

Your rig will be light weight topside. This is especially helpful in situations when you need or want to ditch your rig on the surface and have your crew pull it over the gunwale while you climb the ladder.

Ditching ballast on the surface is easier. A simple pull of the belt tag end and it's off. This would also be easier for a buddy to ditch your ballast if you can't.

As mentioned, if you need to remove your rig at depth and you're wearing exposure protection, it will be much easier to keep you from floating up above your rig.

Finally, a nice rubber belt with threaded cast lead ballast is nearly impossible to lose, unlike integrated weights in pockets.

The only disadvantage is if you use a crotch strap, which I don't recommend, and you accidentally put your belt on before your crotch strap and trap the belt. I ditched my crotch strap and find it is not needed in a singles rig.

That's the big question, right? Weight belt over or under the crotch strap (for those of us who wear them).

That's the big question, right? Weight belt over or under the crotch strap (for those of us who wear them).
Under the crotch strap. Always. Rather not risk an accidental release and it takes a second to undo the buckle/strap to drop the belt if needed.

Personal choice.
I have been using weight belt since day one of my diving training.
Under the crotch strap as an insurance.
I do not normally dive dry or cold water so never require more than 5kg on the belt. SS plate also reduce 1kg from it.

I use a weight belt as well, the weights on the rig also make it a righteous PITA to change tanks
And a pain climbing some of the 'tricky' boat ladders.
giphy.gif

Under the crotch strap. Always. Rather not risk an accidental release and it takes a second to undo the buckle/strap to drop the belt if needed.

If you are horizontal you can slide the weight belt over your back and off without bothering the crotch strap, vertical not so much.

I ditched my crotch strap and find it is not needed in a singles rig.

Many people don't use a crotch strap and that's fine if it's your preference, but its value is frequently unappreciated.

Not only does the strap prevent the rig sliding toward your head if you go head down, but, if properly adjusted, it takes up slack out of the shoulder straps. This allows the user to have the shoulder straps looser, making it easier to get in and out of the rig, especially in an emergency.

I was recently helping a student with a rig bought elsewhere, who said his shoulder strap kept falling off. The shoulder straps were fine but his crotch strap was 6" too long.

Back
Top Bottom