BP/W - why I should use a weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight Belt Advantages:
  • New Divers should use ditchable weight, and weight-belts are an easy way to achieve that.
  • Weight belts are inexpensive. Just a buckle and webbing.
  • Steel weights, which slide on weight-belts are less expensive than lead
I don't use a weight-belt myself, but I do have weight-pockets on my waist-strap (backplate setup) because when I had them on the tank campbands, any time I stopped finning, I was rolling over like a dead fish. Also because they're annoying when swapping tanks. I could also unzip the pockets and dump weights if I had to, but they're not really intended for dumping.

On my sidemount setup, a weightbelt is impractical, because it would put the weight too low for me. The weights are in pockets, along my spine-area.

The bouyancy doesn't concern me too much, because neoprene bouyancy decreases with depth & I'm unlikely to completely ditch my BP+W unless I'm also doing an emergency-ascent. You can also remain in horizontal orientation to reduce your ascent rate.

If I wore a weight, belt, it would be under the crotch-strap, or I'd use a small piece of inner-tube to prevent the weightbelt from accidentally opening. A couple more tips:
  1. Make sure there's not too many layers of webbing under the buckle, if it's too thick, it won't close properly.
  2. Make sure the webbing that is routed through holes, is routed in a way that it cannot loosen.
Typically, you want the routing of the webbing on the "permanent" end, to end on the bottom-side of the buckle. Exactly how the webbing is routed depends on whether there are 2 or 3 slots.

edit:

Crotch-strap is a must if using single piece of harness. There is always "slack" on the shoulder strap otherwise it is extremely difficult to don/off the kit. The strap takes the slack away.
Different story with quick release buckle on the shoulder strap.

Many people don't use a crotch strap and that's fine if it's your preference, but its value is frequently unappreciated.

Not only does the strap prevent the rig sliding toward your head if you go head down, but, if properly adjusted, it takes up slack out of the shoulder straps. This allows the user to have the shoulder straps looser, making it easier to get in and out of the rig, especially in an emergency.

I was recently helping a student with a rig bought elsewhere, who said his shoulder strap kept falling off. Turned out his crotch strap was 6" too long.
For the cost of the waist/shoulder harness sliders, for lack of a better term, that is a gear solution I would make standard for any rig. My rig has them and consequently I cinch my rig down so no need for a crotch strap. I would agree in the absence of the harness sliders a loose bpw will likely need a crotch strap.

Another reason to have the belt under the crotch strap is in case you want to remove/replace the rig underwater. The belt stays on
Those crazy lobster divers will remove their rigs underwater and set them next to a crevice entrance so they can go into the hole on a 15’ hookah line to grab bugs. The rest of us remove our rigs because we probably got tangled up in some line, netting, or something.

Hi Everyone,

What are your reasons for using a weight belt vs distributing on the bp/w with pockets and cam band?

My main concern is if you have to take the bp/w off in the water for whatever reason, you dont want to be too buoyant.

I would be doing recreational diving open/advanced water certification.

Thanks
How much weight?

Most of those advocating weight belt only are cold or temperate water divers. I only need 6 pounds (3 kilos) of weight with an aluminum tank in warm water. I put it in pockets on my waist band. It's very convenien and, while I've never needed to do it, I can pull out and drop the weights or just swim the whole rig up.

Exactly. I have only experience with jacket BC and single tank, but I think it would make a big difference what you do warm vs. cold water. With my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit I need 42 pounds, so both integrated and belt weights are necessary.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you need only 6 pounds or even a bit more it doesn't make a lot of difference where it is?

Never used either a crotch strap or weight belt. Had 2 pockets with heavy velcro that I would put weight in if necessary depending on the wetsuit I was wearing and if I wore a hood.
Never had and issues of my buddies that dive BP/W we are about 50/50 with both.
I think having an actual waist made the crotch strap unnecessary as my rig would have a hard time moving in either direction.

Thanks everyone for the input. All great info and very helpful. It didn't register with me that if you have the weight belt over the crotch strap and I need to remove the rig under water, I'd have to remove the weight belt first. Makes sense but never dawned on me though. Because of this, I'd rather avoid an accidently drop of the belt when removing the rig under water, so for me I feel under the crotch strap is better.

Ahh reminisce of OW training, removing and reapplying the weight belt.

I usually dive warm water but in the states I may start some cold water so I can dive more.

Im building my rig now and trying to do more local dives vs waiting to go to cozumel annually so all this is great info!

There are many ways to skin a cat(additional weight).

A significant portion of the wetsuit buoyancy goes away at depth.

I use integrated weights in my 3mm suit with most of it for trim reasons on the upper tank band. I use a weight belt when diving dry mainly because the pockets on my rig don't hold that much lead. I am about neutral with just the DS+belt, but i can also swim down with just the wetsuit.

Doffing the rig is something I don't often do at depth, but being able to cope with the separate buoyancies is not a bad thing.

What exposure suit do you wear? What is a typical depth where you might have to remove gear?

Back
Top Bottom