BP/W Rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hamachi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone know if there is a dive outfitter in the Bay / Monterey area that would rent out BP/W set? I am thinking about making a switch from jacket BC, but would like to try it first to see how it feels. Am particularly interested in the Halcyon Eclipse system.

Thanks for any info!

Hamachi

I am not aware of any shop in the bay renting BP/W systems, which I find surprising; the total cost of ownership and return on investment for a BP/W has to be substantially better than renting fragile jacket BCDs.

My suggestion would be to find someone you know that has one and try it out. The bad thing about borrowing a plate and harness is that it's usually setup just right for one person and adjusting it can be a PITA.

The bad thing about borrowing a plate and harness is that it's usually setup just right for one person and adjusting it can be a PITA.

I'm guessing this might be why they're not often offered as rentals.

It wouldn't take long for a rental shop to fit a harness. It's more of a PITA if I lend someone mine and they readjust it, then I have to once again readjust when I get it back.

It's like when someone drives your car and changes the mirrors and seat.

I would post on the Dive Matrix and see if someone in the SF/Monterey area has one they would let you borrow. I know everytime I am out in the Monterey area someone hooks me up with doubles & deco bottles no problem. There are a huge number of members from that area on that forum.

The Dive Matrix

Scott

Hamachi,

I can see we have the same interest... when I started diving I had similar idea/question. Then I got new sherwood back inflated BCD on eBay for $200 instead and after 100+ dives I still love it.

My reasoning (and I might get some disagreement here) was that I was really a rookie and although BP/W is great and offers endless customization, it is probably not for rookies who just finished OW class.

I wish I had started with a BP/W so that now I don't have the issue of trying to get rid of my back-inflate BCD :)
Easy to find cheap, used BCD's, not so easy to find cheap, used BP/W's.
And if you see any, please let me know, I'm in the market :)
I think it's smart you're trying out all options before buying Hamachi, I wish I had, would have saved me $300+

My suggestion is to troll ebay, and keep trolling ebay. Also the marketplace forums on here. I found my BP/W setup in more or less new condition for around $150. It retails for $400+ so I'd consider that a screamin' deal.

As for being a rookie, I don't think it makes any difference. I bought mine when I still considered myself a rookie (I've since graduated to novice :D) and I knew the first time I dove it that I had made the right choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom