BP/W: P-weight vs. weight pouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarcHerm

Reaction score
Hi all,

got my BP/W setup from scubatoys and love it. Now I want to buy some weights. So far I am using two XS Scuba pouches on the cam bands (one on each) with rental weights.

I thought about getting a P-weight so I can take off the XS Scuba pouches from the cam bands. While I like the idea (no pouches, weights almost integrated into the plate etc.), there seems to be some downsides as well. The biggest issue I see is that I will not be able to adjust the weight for trim. If (for example) I turn face down in the water, there will be no way to move the P-weight up or down. If the same thing happens with the pouches, I can simply put both pouches on the same (lower or upper) cam band to adjust for trim. Besides, I think it might be easier for rigging if the setup is not that heavy to adjust for position of the rig on the tank.

So, I am unsure if a P-weight is really beneficial. Has anyone gathered experience with a P-weight vs. weight pouches on cam bands? If so, please share :wink:

Thank you!

Will you be traveling with the BP/w? If so, will you bring your P-weights along, or rent lead at your dive site? All shops will rent you lead (shot in pouches or solid weights). They may not have P-weights.

No I don't travel with that setup. It is only for diving locally...

Some more info: I am diving a ss plate with a small steel tank (10l). With my drysuite and all the thick undies, I still need additional 8kg (18 lb). So I thought about adding a 3 kg P-weight. But now, I am unsure if it might be better to stick with the XS Scuba pockets on the cam bands (2x2 kg) for the reasons stated above .

...What is a P-Weight? Does it have anything to do with a P-Valve? :D

I have a traveling BP/W made from Kydex (a DSS plate), and I use the XS Scuba pouches just as you describe. They're on the top bands, and I put 5 lbs on each side. Trim wise, that works out nicely as I put the rest (6 lbs) in a weight belt.

I do use a V-weight on my dubs. Sadly finding a V-weight is the hard part. It does help out with back pain, as I've found a heavy load in the belt makes for lower back pain while scootering.

All the best, James

Learn something every day! I've only heard them called "Weight Plates" before.

My cold-water DSS singles plate permanently has weight plates installed such as these DSS weight plates. Superb.

If you're comfortable with non-ditchable weight, that's the way I'd go...actually it IS the way I went!

All the best, James

Edit: "V-weight" is a term I've seen to refer interchangeably between weights that fit between the cylinders and the plate, or, inside the channel of the plate and held in place with the wingnuts. Obviously the Europeans are a bit more precise in their terminology!

Last edited:
These cam band pouches look real versatile. I plan on getting a few for my aluminum plate instead of buying a new SS plate.

The advantage of weight directly attached to the plate is that you don't forget it. The disadvantage is that it makes the rig much heavier to move around on land.

My husband uses the DSS weight plates, and likes them. I use pouches on the cambands, and prefer them.

I'd suggest using the pouches to figure out where you like the weight to sit for best stability, and then if you want a more permanent weight arrangement, design one that puts the weights where you need them to be.

the halcyon ACB weight pockets are also very nice! my buddy has been using them on the cinch harness, the right one actually fits ON the light retainer assembly directly behind the can light. hes been using it happily with a 9ah canister. he puts two 5lbers on the tank cam bands as non-ditchable.

The pouches, I prefer 2 on the top cam-band can be a good place to put some trim weight. With the pouches living towards the back half of the cylinder they can also act as counterweights to a buoyant AL cylinder making it more comfortable on the surface.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom