BP/W & Long Hose In a PADI IE Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point Peter, just a suggestion from personal experience. I've been trying to influence the system from the inside for many years with some success but it can be a drain. As the "other" agency is still small the majority of my classes are "traditional" but with my influence. I'd feel much better if it weren't that way.....maybe the OP wasn't aware there were options, I wish there was when I started 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the ONLY part of the IE where being in a BP/W might (MIGHT I say) cause another candidate an issue is the Rescue Scenario (anyone disagree here?).

I disagree. In the IE, just as in a "normal" teaching situation you will need to demonstrate (or correct) a skill. If that student is not wearing a BP/W then demonstrating it in a BP/W will create a situation where you are basically saying, "do what I say, don't do what I do".

The difference in the IE is that your "students" may be able to save your day by doing what you "intended" to demonstrate as opposed to doing what you "actually" demonstrated.

In the real world, this attitude will have you correcting your OWN mistakes as opposed to correcting your students' mistakes.

R..

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A post containing insulting comments has been deleted in its entirety, along with any posts referencing or quoting it. That meant that some useful information may have been deleted at the same time. Members are welcome to try again, in a more convivial manner. Marg, SB ScubaBoard Senior Moderator

Each shop is going to benefit from sounding like they are better than others for the new student. If a large enough number of Scubaboard Divers feels that there is a huge advantage in an Instructor being skilled with both jacket style BC and with bp/wing systems....in being more well rounded for the interests of the local students...then this mindset will ultimately be distributed and accepted by large numbers of the new student population...opposing views will find their proponents as well in a sub-population of this potential new pool of dive students.

Perhaps there would be a real advantage, in good shops being both a PADI Shop, and say an NASE or SEI or some other agency...This would allow the shop to have BOTH the highest "name recognition" in a dive instruction agency, AND, a certification that establishes a high degree of skill and abilities in the specific needs of the potential student divers at these dive shops...

What is the downside for a dive shop, or, a Dive REsort, in having both a major agency affiliation like PADI, and another that could impart a better expectation of ideal skills to it's students? For the "Word of Mouth" referrals that are the "bread and butter" for the good dive shops, I would think this might be a good direction to explore.

For the highly skilled PADI or NAUI instructor, getting a crossover to something like NASE, where the objective is really to PROVE that certain special skills exist, is not all that much more involved than proving those extra skills.
The crossover itself, for the well skilled instructor, is no big deal....For the poor instructors that have to kneel in the sand to do their drills....they might be in for a rough ride :) And rightly so :)

I get what you are trying to convey Dan,

But WHY would a shop that has invested time, effort, money, etc. into becoming a PADI shop want to also become affiliated with another agency?

Why should an Instructor want to do that? Just to "prove" they have a higher skill set?
I would cross over IF there were other goals I wanted to accomplish...but I certainly wouldn't cross over to some other agency only to "prove" I have a higher skill set to somebody.

Frankly, I had all of my $hit in one sock before becoming an Instructor.
I chose PADI because that is often what most bases that I have been to want when you are looking to teach on a military base.
Another reason is so I can teach independently.

I don't need an Agency to give me credibility, It's up to me to provide that credibility for myself.

I get your point......but it's misplaced I believe.
It's as if you are saying the only way a PADI shop or Instructor can be "anointed" as being credible is is they had another cert to give legitimacy.
I don't agree with that.

I will say that I am all too aware of the negative perceptions about PADI and instruction quality from some shops and instructors.

I've said it before.....I have taken plenty of kicks at the "PADI ball".
When it became time for me to choose who to become an Instructor with, I was well aware of the negative perceptions.

I also had enough experience traveling around to know that not all Instructors taught in a "crash course" style.
I wasn't going to let any perceived negative opinions about an agency sway my personal decision on what I was going to choose. I took an objective view and made my decision.

Back to the point. The way to gain credibility is to demonstrate it, I don't need to get a crossover done with anyone's pet agency just to gain credibility.

At a higher level than that, I really don't see why most shops would want to do that either.
As I said, I'll pursue a crossover when it suits my personal goals, NOT merely to gain internet approval from PADI critics.

Not every PADI Instructor is a knees-in-the-sand style of Instructor. Not myself nor quite a few others that I have met along the way.
They are out there; I realize they are, but you are kidding yourself if you think every PADI Instructor IS that way. Or that they don't exist in other agencies.

I'm confident EVERY recreational agency had Instructors in their ranks that are spending plenty of time on their knees.

I don't want to hear any disingenuous "tales" about YMCA/SEI. I was YMCA (OW2) trained. It was very good; better than my original PADI OW course (due to the Instructor)

Guess what?....skills were done on the knees in the YMCA course too. I am quite confident that it's still done that way. :wink:
When the echo of the chest thumping fades away, I realize there is quite a bit of revisionist history being thrown around on these threads.

I see your point Dan,:cheers:
But the only reason a shop should also become a shop with another agency would be if they felt they wanted to offer something that wasn't being offered under their current affiliation.....not to gain some sort of credibility.

It's an interesting thread.
I'm reluctant to participate due to the fact that some posts just get deleted.
Everybody here is grown.:idk:

Cheers,
Mitch

We seem to all be forgetting that the PADI IDC and IE teaches, trains, and evaluates the use of a TEACHING METHODOLOGY. The methodology is applicable to the development of a method for any skill or gear set-up, assuming the instructor can demonstrate proper use. But the acquisition of this methodology and the development of skillful application of methods in practical settings is the primary and almost sole focus of the IDC. Anything that distracts from that should be seen as an avoidable problem. If you can find an idc that has a context where your pet gear is not a distraction, so be it. If not, don't be a distraction.

Peter - The individual's comfort, unless really physically affecting their ability to perform, should be secondary to the OVERALL cohesion of the class and the optimum learning of the methodology without distraction or task-loading. After the skill of teaching is learned, THEN it is time to acquire further skills that the methods can apply to.

I actually assumed the OP was saying "philosophically" comfortable. If you are totally uncomfortable physically in the gear that works best for the entire team, maybe you should not be wearing that and could switch out and be accommodated by everyone. But the OP wasn't saying he was less skilled or able to perform in a traditional BCD, was he??? That's not what I read. He was asking a philosophical question, I gave him a philosophical answer. If he has a disability or a phobia that prohibits him from wearing the gear best suited to the goal of class cohesion and optimum learning of the methodology and being able to demonstrate it for the examiners for all involved, I think people will gladly work with him. If you just think "it's the best gear" or "I like it better," no, sir, I cannot agree with you here. You ain't wrong, but you ain't right :)

Consider for a second where the advice was solicited - on the internet. Is that the place to ask such questions? Not the CDs you are considering? I personally found the venue so inappropriate to the question that it demanded an immediate negative response. Grown-ups should not encourage such disrespectful behavior. I sure don't want someone coming to my class and telling me that what I say doesn't matter, 'cause he got told on scubaboard that it's OK.

Consider for a second where the advice was solicited - on the internet. Is that the place to ask such questions? Not the CDs you are considering? I personally found the venue so inappropriate to the question that it demanded an immediate negative response. Grown-ups should not encourage such disrespectful behavior. I sure don't want someone coming to my class and telling me that what I say doesn't matter, 'cause he got told on scubaboard that it's OK.

27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e34d83bce986e9ff4fe0e604f0.jpg

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 08:31 AM ----------

For the highly skilled PADI or NAUI instructor, getting a crossover to something like NASE, where the objective is really to PROVE that certain special skills exist, is not all that much more involved than proving those extra skills.

The crossover itself, for the well skilled instructor, is no big deal....For the poor instructors that have to kneel in the sand to do their drills....they might be in for a rough ride :) And rightly so :)

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars.
I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just… do things.
The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon’s got plans. You know, they’re schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I’m not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. ......
You know what I’ve noticed? Nobody panics when things go “according to plan.” Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it’s all “part of the plan.” But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I’m an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair!

In other words :) .... Everyone just accepts the instructors "teaching" skills while kneeling on the bottom. Nobody "panics" about it, because it is just part of the "plan"....Everyone just accepts that nothing can be done about poor instructors...I like upsetting this apple cart :)

Last edited:
Funny how business models tear us apart and ruin the sport we all love. Sadly, all this thread has shown me is not to do the IE with PADI because some people are afraid of change, On the other hand, I should continue my training with GUE and maybe someday become an instructor with them. One could understand that, GUE promotes the standardized equipment I enjoy, The team environment I enjoy (Prior Military), pushing my training further and safety. PADI promotes their own thing (Which is more than fine and some great training) However, [to the OP] If you have read this thread in its entirety, you may get the same conclusion: Until all the old timers (with thousands of C Cards and BS) are too old to dive or we change the dive industry, it will continue to be a *&$@ Measuring contest between business models that no one on here made up 15-40 years ago but state as gospel.

---------

I am a PADI DM and GUE trained, PADI Promotes recreational diving and Project AWARE mostly with a side of Tec REC (Their own thing)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom