BP/W is just a tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having read this thread it seems to me that, as with many things, a lot of the comments are subjective and rightly so.

For me, I trained in a regular BCD and having qualified, my son who is a technical diver made me a present of a Halcyon Eclipse BP&W set up. My dive instructor recommended I sell it immediately but as it was a gift, I used it and I have to say I found the whole experience liberating.

I have since added the Halcyon Cinch system which makes it, well, a cinch to get in and out of.

But; this is my experience and what works for me may not work for you. So find you own thing but most of all be safe and enjoy your diving.

I find the argument getting absolutely ridiculous until the point where I have the say it is meaningless.

I was waiting for my Halcyon cinch and was scheduled for a dive and had to use my sister's dacor elle.

Did I drown? No. Actually I found the JACKET BC gave me a pretty good trim and I was pleasantly surprised.

I dove the Halycon in Bali 2 weeks later and i loved it a lot. I also got a good trim and being a newbie I got the crotch strap too loose and it kinda rode up on me. I asked the good pple on this forum and I have been guided to enlightenment. But I know I have found a BC that is SUITABLE and I mean SUITABLE for me.

But guys come one........ would I ask my sis to switch to a BP/W just because I love it so? No. Cos having tested her Dacor I know that its a great BC and she has no reason to change. I changed from an Alcyone because the weights I needed could not fit the weight system.

I am a new BP/W convert but please just let us divers dive and see the underwater world and enjoy what could be gone in a few decades instead.

Cheers

For single tank warm water t-shirt diving I've been using an old plastic backplate from a jacket bc with a small travel wing attached instead of the jacket. It's very comfortable in and out of the water and with a quick release on the shoulder strap it's easy to don and doff. I have tried a metal backplate in the same configuration and it is nowhere near as comfortable. Anyone else doing this, or is it just me?

For single tank warm water t-shirt diving I've been using an old plastic backplate from a jacket bc with a small travel wing attached instead of the jacket. It's very comfortable in and out of the water and with a quick release on the shoulder strap it's easy to don and doff. I have tried a metal backplate in the same configuration and it is nowhere near as comfortable. Anyone else doing this, or is it just me?

The same thing can be done with one of those old style plastic backpacks that Trident still sells (BTW).
I've seen people put a wing behind them and they work fine. The only problem is you can only get one cam band on them, but that doesn't seem to concern them.

If I didn't make my own plates I'd probably be using one of those.

Dead Diver.
You are a genius.
Try filling one with lead shot for home use for neoprene diving to reduce weight on belt if you choose.
Old Tabata and Scubapro with the 3" steel single band and quick release handle are brilliant
Plastic pac with doubles is brilliant too.

Yes Mr ZKY, if I did not own so many original bac pacs, and my back was not so big your work of art the Freedom Plate, will still probably make it into my stash one day.

I wore a typical BCD for years and was happy with it, i knew it like the back of my hand, then one day i started to dabble in Tec diving and bought a Back plate system further advancing my skills and knowledge. It didn't take long for me to change my mind, It travels better, glides through the water with much less drag, adapts to differant conditions,and i can stock one item that can be adjusted to fit almost anyone. Now i am so confident in the Back plate system that i teach open water students with them right from the start and i will never wear or sell a BCD again. Never

Plastic pac with doubles is brilliant too.

Interesting you should mention that configuration. I acquired a set of galvanized steel doubles bands that are made for a special version of a plastic backpack, I have yet to find. Each band has a semicircle of metal (holding the tanks clear of the pack) which would fit into a matching slot in the backpack and a bolt thru both holds it together. It is from the early '70's with a J-valve manifold for steel 72's. I'm diving the rig on a BP/W but would love to dive it on a plastic backpack with a horse-collar.

I have to agree with the OP's statement that a BP/W is just a tool. Over the years I have dove with whatever has been available to me and been happy that I could be diving. All this gear is a means to an end, and for me, not an end in itself. Lets face it, those who love to dive would do it with a Spare Air in one hand, a Bota bag in the other, and shingles duck-taped to their feet, if that was all that was available.

All that being said, some tools are better for a job than others.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Exactly. A craftsman never blames his work on his tools. Some tools make it much easier to get the job done, but you still have to have the skill.

The first BCD I bought after getting certified three years ago was a BP/W. I have been happy with it for the most part. I did not have any issue with buoyancy that was attributed to equipment, it was more the fact that I was a new diver. As I went on more dives I was able to gain experience and soon no longer had issues controlling my buoyancy. I have used this in both local quarries and in the Caribbean and you should see the looks I get when I show up in the Caribbean with a BP/W... no problem finding my equipment. I like the simplicity of a BP/W but I must say it is not the easiest thing to travel with. I have contemplated switching to either a traditional vest or some other back inflate bcd that is lighter and easier to stuff in a back and jump on a plane. in the end I think it comes down to fit and what you are comfortable with using. I would encourage people to try both.

Wow, an interesting thread. Yes, much of it is subjective... as is all things, really. Even with hard objective data specs and some of those relating to performance, the human element will mean that everyone will have their own take on the situation.

I'm glad the market is filled with options. And I'm glad there are divers out there willing to share their thoughts, impressions, options--and often their gear--so that other divers can experience the different things available for themselves and make an informed decision that suits THEIR needs.

I'm coming up on a year certified, and still diving my poodle vest. I'm loving it/hating it, but have tried some others for a dive or two and am starting to map out the differences, in preparation for updating my kit to v 2.0. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom