BP/W: I officially don't get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm as a recent convert, I seem to have learned two things. It's probably too loose and you're most likely a bit over weighted. Once I took care of that it was a noticable differance. (and it took a bit longer but my wife just had the a-ha moment.

Recently took the plunge and bought a Halcyon BP/W set-up after reading all the "sturm and drang" on this board for years. My verdict: it's OK, but barely different (if at all) from a basic, pedestrian BC.

Give me good diving conditions and interesting marine life and, frankly, I couldn't care less about equipment (providing it's safe, of course).

So, I don't get it. Why don't people on this board care more about what they're seeing underwater instead of worrying about what they're wearing?

Actually, the majority of people in the world use a BCD. I've tried both BP & BCD and I prefer my BCD (SeaQuest/AquaLung Pro-QD). I have found a lot of the verbal people on this board prefer BPs - that's OK. But the push/hype for the "tech look" or "pseudo-tech" should not be the driving factor in what one chooses for equipment. Whatever works for you is what is best.

Oh dear! I largely agree with the OP, but also with some of the other comments. First, one point of information. Despite the "BP/W" hype, they do NOT inevitably go together. Of my maybe 3000 dives with a wing, only maybe 500 were also with a backplate. The rest were with a soft-back harness, mostly the DiveRite Transpac II. I have backplates and do occasionally dive with one, but in general I find them cumbersome and uncomfortable. Great if you have maybe 4 tanks strung across your back, but not needed for a simple twinset. Certainly not needed or IMO desirable for a single tank.

I also disagree that getting buoyancy right is easier with a wing than with a jacket-style BC. Most people, for simple open-ocean recreational diving, find a well fitting and well chosen jacket BC much more comfortable and intuitive, and easier to dump air from. Wings come into their own in cold water, when the inherent buoyancy of your suit means you have to carry a lot of weight down with you and hence need a lot of air at depth to compensate.

For most of my diving here in Belize I have a very thin and non-buoyant suit, so have little or no added air in my BC at any point in the dive. For this I use a jacket BC, which is very streamlined - no flapping wing to get in the way and slow me down. And with a shoulder dump, it's very easy to dump air progressively without really thinking about it. I have never used a wing that is as easy and predictable to get air out of, and I currently own 10 wings of different makes and sizes and have used at least that number of other ones.

Recently took the plunge and bought a Halcyon BP/W set-up after reading all the "sturm and drang" on this board for years. My verdict: it's OK, but barely different (if at all) from a basic, pedestrian BC.

Give me good diving conditions and interesting marine life and, frankly, I couldn't care less about equipment (providing it's safe, of course).

So, I don't get it. Why don't people on this board care more about what they're seeing underwater instead of worrying about what they're wearing?

I'm basically in the same boat-----bought a Dive Rite BP/W about 2 months ago just for the heck of it, had never seen one in real life---but just wanted to for the heck of it.......My conclusion: dives exactly like my Zeagle Scout--without any pockets........Most people IMO make way too much of a BP/W ie a good simple BC works equal to a BP/W.......

Dang I thought you would die if you tried diving anything else. I should say that i would like to try one but haven't yet.

Actually, the majority of people in the world use a BCD. I've tried both BP & BCD and I prefer my BCD (SeaQuest/AquaLung Pro-QD). I have found a lot of the verbal people on this board prefer BPs - that's OK. But the push/hype for the "tech look" or "pseudo-tech" should not be the driving factor in what one chooses for equipment. Whatever works for you is what is best.

Majority of people in the world that dive a jacket BC dive 0-20 dives a year. I dare guesstimate that majority of the vocal people here who rave about BP/W put down 75-200 dives/year. (Note, not generalizing 100% in either group. Gear does not make you a diver).

I usually refrain from stating anything like that but personally I find it somewhat distasteful when I am called a wannabe and pseudo-* just because I dive something that I bothered to make work for me.

I agree there is no need for anyone to dive anything else but what works for them and what is safe. However, it is also silly to expect that something “just works” out of the box without some effort, especially if one has an attitude about it :wink:

What makes you conclude that based on your BP/W experience? Should we limit the discussion to fish, wrecks and rocks?

A BP/W is not technical equipment at all. I am not a technical diver and I use a BP/W as do a number of buddies who have collectively thousands of no-deco dives in OW in less than 40m of water. :wink: I know technical divers who do not use BP/Ws too.

I am all for personal preference with gear but it is very ill-informed to think a BP/W gives someone a 'tech look' or a 'pseudo-tech' look.

Last edited:
I am all for personal preference with gear but it is very ill-informed to think a BP/W gives someone a 'tech look' or a 'pseudo-tech' look.

Well said! Folk with hang ups about categorising gear as being indicative of the dive need to get their heads out of the marketing hype.

FFS it's all just gear, some of it is great and fit for purpose, some of it is shyte and not fit for much..... It is all just dive gear.

A backplate or BCD is just a tool --nothing more. If I had to choose one type of rig to dive in permanently, it would be an Armadillo sidemount harness. But, again, just a tool. The trick is choosing the right tool for the job.

A BP/W is not technical equipment at all. I am not a technical diver and I use a BP/W as do a number of buddies who have collectively thousands of dives in OW in less than 40m of water. :wink: I know technical divers who do not use BP/Ws too.

I agree with Saspotato...I dont think a BP/W gives anyone a tech look, IMO if it gives you any kind of look its a old school look. Take a look at some of the scuba gear from 30+ years ago, like the gear in the movie The Deep, I think modern day BP/W looks more like that gear and they weren't tech.

Back
Top Bottom