BP/W for my first purchase + weighting ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for divemaster, the chain of thought was based on our retirement plans which includes living on our sailboat permanently in the Carib. In the next 3-5 years.

-J

If you plan to dive extensively off a small boat (as I do these days), I would recommend a weight belt vs. integrated weights. Most of the time I put on the backplate in the water and I always remove it in the water before reboarding. I wear a 10lb rubber weight belt and it's much easier to lift the gear aboard without weights inside. When putting on the BPW in the water, it's easier to get everything squared away if you're not fighting weight on the waist strap.

Brand specifics shouldn't matter too much. Most brands are modular and interchangeable. Look for companies that have been around for a while that will stand behind their product. Buy your gear from a shop that understands the details of setting up a BPW. A properly fitted rig will save you a lot of time in trial and error frustration.

It's a pretty standard backplate package.

Personal preferences that I would check out that it's a soft webbing crotch strap (don't like chaffing my suit) and that the wing has a replaceable bladder. Bladders are tough enough to take in-water abuse but they occasionally get pinch holes when they are squashed between a boat bulkhead and the edge of a backplate, etc. It's nice to be able to buy a new inner bladder and replace yourself. Otherwise you either have to Aquaseal the hole or replace entirely. Not a big issue, but a personal preference for me.

I did have a student with an OMS weight system and their take on the sliding waist strap that was an utter nightmare for him. He bought it elsewhere and rigged it himself. No idea if he did it correctly but I would advise against using that weight system.

Correct adjustment will be more of a determining factor in how a system works for you rather than the brand. If you are confident you will be able to rig it yourself then you should be fine.

Is anyone using this OMS wing (27#), or have any experience with their products?

DGX Custom - Ultimate Harness Package - OMS

-Jimmy

My single-tank wing is the 32lb version of that same OMS wing. It gets the job done, no complaints here. Bought in a package from DGX as well, the "OMS SmartStream Harness Singles Package." I did about 80 dives on it with that "SmartStream" harness, but recently broke it down to the simpler hogarthian harness. The moving parts near the hips did more harm than good, because it forced me to tighten the shoulder straps too much. Whereas the simple style allows you to tighten the waist strap while keeping the shoulder straps loose, which is just at stable, but a lot more comfortable and improves arm and torso mobility.

BTW, that OMS wing comes in a variety of colors, mine's hot pink. Resist the urge to get all-black gear :cool:

My single-tank wing is the 32lb version of that same OMS wing. It gets the job done, no complaints here. Bought in a package from DGX as well, the "OMS SmartStream Harness Singles Package." I did about 80 dives on it with that "SmartStream" harness, but recently broke it down to the simpler hogarthian harness. The moving parts near the hips did more harm than good, because it forced me to tighten the shoulder straps too much. Whereas the simple style allows you to tighten the waist strap while keeping the shoulder straps loose, which is just at stable, but a lot more comfortable and improves arm and torso mobility.
Thanks!

BTW, that OMS wing comes in a variety of colors, mine's hot pink. Resist the urge to get all-black gear :cool:
Exactly what I was thinking, something in a slimming red.

So why not Divemaster and maybe make some cash down there?

What makes you think you are going to make any cash? You may get a little here and there, but forget about recouping the cost of your DM program.

Save your money, take some solid skills courses, like GUE fundies, and enjoy diving. Being a DM is about herding cats.

What makes you think you are going to make any cash? You may get a little here and there, but forget about recouping the cost of your DM program.

Save your money, take some solid skills courses, like GUE fundies, and enjoy diving. Being a DM is about herding cats.
wet, maybe I just want my wife to call me Divemaster. What’ll that cost me?

wet, maybe I just want my wife to call me Divemaster. What’ll that cost me?
Depends on how you ask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom