BP/W for my first purchase + weighting ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Maggio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey divers! Jimmy here, new to the sport, just got back from doing some fantastic drift diving in Cozumel, so happy to see the reefs in amazing shape. The eagle rays were ridiculous. I am hooked and looking to take this through Divemaster.
Here’s the short of it, I’m convinced I’m going BP/W for my first purchase. I dove a jacket, then an AL Dimension, I want more minimalist + customization. Looking for some feedback and opinions on what I am thinking of getting...Hollis Solo harness, w/SS BP and their LX S38 wing. My thoughts are, strong brand with good reputation and I like the colors. But maybe there are better (equal) options that are more affordable or offer better features?

Also, curious about weighting. On my Cozumel dives I carried 14# of lead with the AL Dimension (back inflate), and the only time I needed air in my BC was at the surface. Trim and buoyancy was perfect. What can I expect switching to a BP/W?

Thanks!

The Mirage package mentioned in the post above is nice but the wing does not have cam strap slots so you must use a single tank adapter with this setup (STA).

I would recommend the HOG 32lb wing over the Hollis S38 LX wing...they are very similar but the HOG wing has longer cam strap slots which means it will be compatible with wider array of plates...maybe not an issue if you are purchasing a Hollis plate but if you ever decide to sell the wing, it will be easier/less of headache to sell a wing that does not have compatibility issues.

The DGX singles BP/W package is a good deal, very good quality material, and great customer service.

-Z

Also, curious about weighting. On my Cozumel dives I carried 14# of lead with the AL Dimension (back inflate), and the only time I needed air in my BC was at the surface. Trim and buoyancy was perfect. What can I expect switching to a BP/W?

You should expect that you will need to carry slight less lead with BP/W compared to jacket style BCD. A BP/W, especially one with a basic harness does not have the positively buoyant padding that tends to be inherent in a jacket. Less positively buoyant material = less need for lead to overcome the positive buoyancy.

If you go with a stainless steel plate, you will shift approximately 6lbs (+/-) from your waist/pockets to your back/center of mass. This should make managing and maintaining your trim even easier.

One thing you might want to explore is if you really need wing with 38lbs of lift.

-Z

Loose Thanks for the info! I’ll check them out. As for divemaster, the chain of thought was based on our retirement plans which includes living on our sailboat permanently in the Carib. In the next 3-5 years. My wife is an accomplished diver and I thought it would be prudent for one of us to have completed Rescue Diver cert. since we will be diving on our own a lot. So why not Divemaster and maybe make some cash down there?

The Mirage package mentioned in the post above is nice but the wing does not have cam strap slots so you must use a single tank adapter with this setup (STA).

I would recommend the HOG 32lb wing over the Hollis S38 LX wing...they are very similar but the HOG wing has longer cam strap slots which means it will be compatible with wider array of plates...maybe not an issue if you are purchasing a Hollis plate but if you ever decide to sell the wing, it will be easier/less of headache to sell a wing that does not have compatibility issues.

The DGX singles BP/W package is a good deal, very good quality material, and great customer service.
-Z

One thing you might want to explore is if you really need wing with 38lbs of lift.
-Z

Z, great info, thank you! As for the 38# wing, the other offering Hollis had was the 25# and I didn’t think that was enough to cover me in all environments in which I may dive. I guess I was going with, ‘it’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”?

-J

Loose Thanks for the info! I’ll check them out. As for divemaster, the chain of thought was based on our retirement plans which includes living on our sailboat permanently in the Carib. In the next 3-5 years. My wife is an accomplished diver and I thought it would be prudent for one of us to have completed Rescue Diver cert. since we will be diving on our own a lot. So why not Divemaster and maybe make some cash down there?

Z, great info, thank you! As for the 38# wing, the other offering Hollis had was the 25# and I didn’t think that was enough to cover me in all environments in which I may dive. I guess I was going with, ‘it’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”?

-J

HOG has 23# and 32# lift wings. For single tank diving, the likelihood is slim of you needing something larger than the 32#.

The DGX single tank wing is 30# lift and has a narrow profile which is good. If I was in the market for a single tank BP/W setup, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the DGX BP/W package.

For a plate, any of the major brands, and some of the smaller brands should have adequate fit and finish...no need to spend gobs of money on a plate unless you want to. For me I prefer wings that are designed such that I won't have compatibility issues if I change another component like the plate....I use a Dive Rite voyager wing.

I am also not a fan of STAs, and every wing discussion seems to include posts about wings needing some kind of tank roll control and folks always point out that Dive Rite wings don't have this feature, but I can tell you that neither I or my eldest daughter have ever had a problem with tanks moving out of position in all the dives we have done using Dive Rite wings without an STA. And while I am not trying to promote any particular brand, I do have Dive Rite, HOG, and SubGravity gear in our 4 diver arsenal, and can speak specifically to the fit and function of those products....but there are plenty of other products/brands out there that work just as well.

-Z

I am also not a fan of STAs, and every wing discussion seems to include posts about wings needing some kind of tank roll control and folks always point out that Dive Rite wings don't have this feature, but I can tell you that neither I or my eldest daughter have ever had a problem with tanks moving out of position in all the dives we have done using Dive Rite wings without an STA

another perspective on STA. I don’t need one for roll control but I use one because I swap between single tanks and doubles frequently. Using a STA allows me to keep the singles bands strapped to the STA rather than routed through BP, just makes going from single tank to doubles much quicker.

another perspective on STA. I don’t need one for roll control but I use one because I swap between single tanks and doubles frequently. Using a STA allows me to keep the singles bands strapped to the STA rather than routed through BP, just makes going from single tank to doubles much quicker.

This is arguably the primary purpose of an STA...and if I was regularly swappingg between a single tank rig and a double tank rig, I would be using one as well.

-Z

This is arguably the primary purpose of an STA...and if I was regularly swappingg between a single tank rig and a double tank rig, I would be using one as well.

-Z

That makes total sense to me and a great example of using the modular platform to make it your own. I don't imagine I'll be using/needing a STA on my initial build, I hope not to need one. I do like the price of the DGX package.

A few comments.

30 or 32lb wing is enough for nearly any setup with a single tank. Actually a 23 pound for any warm or temperate diving, basically up to a 5mm+hooded vest. The 30 is really only needed if you'll be using a 7mm or drysuit and even then you could get by with a 23 if you are properly weighted unless you are using a steel 120 cylinder.

You can expect to need around 6lbs less lead with a standard steel backplate compared to a jacket BCD. Around 4 pounds of that is the plate, the rest is the lead that's required to sink an empty fabric BCD.

Extra "features" are normally actually bugs on a BP harness. Extra clips, straps, adjustments and padding don't add anything except complications and a potential need to carry extra lead. The exception would be for those with a physical disability that won't let you get out of standard harness webbing.

An alternative to the DGX package would be one from Piranha Dive Mfg. I really like these guys. Both my son and I use their basic $35 harness with colored webbing along with misc gear like compass, SMB, SPG and hoses. Their harness page, including with plate options, is here: DIR & Deluxe Harnesses Piranha Dive Shop | . You can also call and talk to them and they will help you get set up with everything. They carry HOG 23lb (and 32lb) wings which are very good quality and will work fine without an STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom