BP/W DM Course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PICSHAPPEN66666.jpg

One thing we can agree on.

Exactly right.
If somebody is going to be a working DM in this day and age of all the different gear configurations that they might encounter working as a guide or on a charter boat, they better know everything about them.

A dive master is under no obligation to know your gear...that's entirely on you......too many people think DM's are baby sitters....that IS NOT the role of a DM

A dive master is under no obligation to know your gear...that's entirely on you......too many people think DM's are baby sitters....that IS NOT the role of a DM
I may be wrong but I thought divemasters are hired and insured to be there for safety and surface support.
So let's say it's a charter trip and a boat is anchored up and every one's enjoying a dive. A diver hits the surface in a panic a ways away from the boat and needs assistance. The dive master (that is hired to render aid the the distressed diver) jumps in and swims over to the diver. Let's say the diver is not in good shape at this point and needs to be out of their gear (either at the boat or where they came up - doesn't matter). Let's also say the said gear is a HOG style BP/W type rig that is really tight.
What if the DM has never seen such a rig and doesn't know what to make of it. How are they supposed to know that the quick way is to cut the straps and get them out instead of searching for releases?
Or according to you I guess they could just sit back and watch them drown because they don't need to know about gear and aren't babysitters or are under no obligation to help them with their gear in an emergency?
Then why even have them, seems like a waste of money to me.

I may be wrong but I thought divemasters are hired and insured to be there for safety and surface support.

Well, sort of.

Their purpose is to make the divers feel safer, while in reality, they can't do much of anything if they're farther away than your last breath.

Also, in many parts of the world, insurance isn't required.

Let's say the diver is not in good shape at this point and needs to be out of their gear (either at the boat or where they came up - doesn't matter). Let's also say the said gear is a HOG style BP/W type rig that is really tight

I can't speak for anybody else, but I carry a razor cutter, shears and a knife. If you're wearing anything that's causing a problem, it's going away quickly.

flots.

The role of a DM is to do whatever the heck his boss tells him to do.

PADI though, do stress the need for role-model professional knowledge - which includes market awareness and keeping abreast of the latest innovations etc.

Or according to you I guess they could just sit back and watch them drown because they don't need to know about gear and aren't babysitters or are under no obligation to help them with their gear in an emergency?
Then why even have them, seems like a waste of money to me.

your idea of a dive masters role is not accurate ,they are not responsible for you, you are responsible for yourself

If I were your DM ,I would cut your gear off if I thought it would help......but don't think for a minute you hired me to save you....if I decide to save you, its only after I am sure I wont put myself in harms way..your lack of skills and planning is not going to cause me to hurt myself.

PADI though, do stress the need for role-model professional knowledge - which includes market awareness and keeping abreast of the latest innovations etc.

Yeah, but it's so much easier just to carry a sharp knife. That goes through most of the latest innovations :D

I suspect you were being a bit tongue-in-cheek with this comment. If you meant something like 'a DM's role is not clearly defined in all cases and is typically dependent on the situation and often includes grunt work' then I agree. But of course there are limits to what a boss can tell a DM to do, especially in teaching situations that include non-certified divers.

In general, DMs are guides and are only expected to provide a safety net in terms of navigation (for in-water DMs) and general dive support. Any DM who has even the slightest sense of professionalism and concern will gladly render assistance to a diver who needs it, but any certified diver is responsible for his/her own dive safety.

I honestly would be surprised if there were a single dive fatality that could be positively linked to an inability to remove a diver's BC by a DM.

your idea of a dive masters role is not accurate ,they are not responsible for you, you are responsible for yourself

If I were your DM ,I would cut your gear off if I thought it would help......but don't think for a minute you hired me to save you....if I decide to save you, its only after I am sure I wont put myself in harms way..your lack of skills and planning is not going to cause me to hurt myself.
Wow! I guess I got told how it is.

I still think it's a good idea if DM's take the time to learn about the different gear choices people are using now days. It would only serve to make them better at their jobs.
At one time when all that people dove was gear that the LDS sold them and there was more of an industry standard I could see that not being a big deal, but these days there is a huge variety of gear and diving style choices and many times all mixed in at one particular dive event or get together. So I personally think it would be in a DM's favor to enlighten themselves regardless of their personal aptitude or level of responsibility or affiliation with any particular LDS or organization and their lack of knowledge of anything past a poodle jacket or back inflate unit (not that there's anything wrong with those).

This also reaches into the area of some DM's who like to set gear up for customers, if they know about different gear they will be better at setting up the different gear (or at least knowing to keeping their freekin' hands off it!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom