BP/W DM Course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stewart has already conceded that this test has no real life applications. So please post your evidence to the contrary. I am open minded and would like to see it.

Some people are so open-minded that their brain has fallen out.

I think he conceded that "the skill" has no real life application, and I would concur. But the purpose of "the test" does have real life application - as it allows the DM's instructor to evaluate the DM's ability to work calmly, and methodically, through a series of tasks with another diver in order to solve a problem underwater while under a little bit of stress. I can offer no "evidence" that this is a valuable observation for an instructor to perform when evaluating a DM-C. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Some people are so open-minded that their brain has fallen out.

And some people if PADI requires an underwater BJ they would try to out do Linda Lovelace. Perhaps that describes you?

I think he conceded that "the skill" has no real life application, and I would concur. But the purpose of "the test" does have real life application - as it allows the DM's instructor to evaluate the DM's ability to work calmly, and methodically, through a series of tasks with another diver in order to solve a problem underwater while under a little bit of stress. I can offer no "evidence" that this is a valuable observation for an instructor to perform when evaluating a DM-C. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Please tell me how the Latin phrase you mention relates to this discusion.

And some people if PADI requires an underwater BJ they would try to out do Linda Lovelace. Perhaps that describes you?

I spent far less time performing the skill... than you have spent worrying about whether or not the skill is a valuable use of time. It's no harder to perform than it is to understand its utility in evaluating a DM-C's comfort level in working through problems underwater.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 05:08 PM ----------

Please tell me how the Latin phrase you mention relates to this discusion.

I think it speaks for itself... so to speak.

I spent far less time performing the skill... than you have spent worrying about whether or not the skill is a valuable use of time. It's no harder to perform than it is to understand its utility in evaluating a DM-C's comfort level in working through problems underwater.

I hope you are not an instructor because your answers are less than satisfactory. Besides the lack of relevance. When evaluating a student there should be a level playing field, each student should be evaluated the same. In this test each student is not evaluated the same because you could have a situation where the gear is similar and a situation where the gear is not. Certainly it is more stressful for the student if the gear is different. So some students are stressed but others are not. You do not see a problem with this? Hint: think consistency.

I think it speaks for itself... so to speak.

I did not ask for the translation, that I knew. I asked how it fit into the discussion.

I did not ask for the translation, that I knew. I asked how it fit into the discussion.

I wasn't translating. I was answering your question.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

Certainly it is more stressful for the student if the gear is different. So some students are stressed but others are not. You do not see a problem with this? Hint: think consistency.

It shouldn't be terribly stressful. Accordingly anyone who IS stressed by the exercise would be noticed by the instructor and whatever necessary remediation taken, presumably. (Hint: That's sort of the point of the exercise.)

You don't seem to understand the point of the exercise. That's cool. You've been told by several people what the point of the exercise is, but you don't seem to accept it. Just let it go...

I enjoyed the gear swap. During ours one of the instructors swam around us turning off valves and knocking off masks to increase the challenge, it was entertaining. A couple of weeks prior, two attractive female DM candidates completed the gear swap exercise by switching their bathing suits. Now that's an exercise with some practical value!

A couple of weeks prior, two attractive female DM candidates completed the gear swap exercise by switching their bathing suits. Now that's an exercise with some practical value!

PICSHAPPEN66666.jpg

Reminds me of a trip on BlackBeard's once. I was sitting in the saloon when one of the older but still delightful ladies proclaimed that she was tired of getting dressed behind the curtain that walled off the shower. She pulled it open, stepped out in her birthday suit and proceeded to dry off and get dressed. I tried to be polite and look away but she just said to not worry, she didn't mind.

Back
Top Bottom