BP and Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpmorrison once bubbled...
:confused:
What is the big deal about back plate and wings? Every time someone asks a question about BCs they always get hit with BP and wings as the only way to go. Could this be a DIR thing?

Probably one of the biggest draws of the BP/wings is the cleanliness and low drag of the unit. Most BC's have a great deal of stuff on the front that creates drag in the water. Less effort usually means better air consumption.

If you think about the diver with good horizontal trim in the water, anything that is on his/her chest will create extra drag in the water. (If you're not careful with the placement of your extra gear, you can still create drag with BP/wings by putting things like reels on front D-rings).

The backplate also provides a solid foundation for you and your tank(s). What's really nice about this configuration, is that if you ever adopt diving with twins and or singles interchangeably, you use the same backplate, but install the appropriate sized wing. Everything is in the same place, so you don't have to relearn where things are when the $##@ hits the fan.

HTH,
wb

I have three "BC's" - standard BC, SP Rec Tek wings and and a BP/Wings set up. Must admit I haven't used the standard BC in almost 2 years but I use both the other setups (depending on diving) as I prefer back inflation.

Go on give them a go! I'm a fully fledged stroke BTW....

MikeS - I only edited your post to put the start quote in and tidy up the title. No content was changed or edited for those that might have noticed.

Jonathan

lal7176 once bubbled..

That reminds me.I still need to ebay my knighthawk I think i had it for a whole 4mos and about 8 dives before i switched to BP/Wings.It was a good but expensive move.I must admit i havent touched my knighthawk since i switched over.

I'll probably be ordering a BP & wing within the next couple of weeks. Only about 10 dives on a Recon. Wanna buy it?

I'm with mo2vation. Not necessarily going to be DIR, but the concepts make a lot of sense.

And it's obvious the flexibility of configuration far exceeds anything ele out there.

jpmorrison once bubbled...
:confused:
What is the big deal about back plate and wings? Every time someone asks a question about BCs they always get hit with BP and wings as the only way to go. Could this be a DIR thing?

Personally, I think the answer is yes, in part. The BP guys are very vocal. It is far out of proportion to what I get to see when I go diving, but they tend to dive closer to where they live and I mostly travel to the Caribbean. The rules of engagement around here tend to favor allowing discussions of BP's "so that new divers can find out about them."

You can search for some of my other posts regarding how I feel about BP's and why I don't use one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom