BP and Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpmorrison

Reaction score
:confused:
What is the big deal about back plate and wings? Every time someone asks a question about BCs they always get hit with BP and wings as the only way to go. Could this be a DIR thing?

jpmorrison once bubbled...
What is the big deal about back plate and wings? Every time someone asks a question about BCs they always get hit with BP and wings as the only way to go. Could this be a DIR thing?
A bp/wing is a bp/wing thing... Some people just like what they use so much they can't help but to suggest it to others..

Presence of a bp/wing does not equal DIR...

if you want more, and I mean MORE info about bp/wings, use the search tab on the top of every page here. there's more 'discussion' about bp/wings than anything else here.

-M

A BP/Wing alone does not constitute being DIR.BP/Wings are just a great setup for just about anyone and any application.They are extremely modular and fit a wide array of accessories.

What type of BC do you use? Might we suggest you try a bp/wing and e-bay whatever you currently have?
:wink:

O-ring once bubbled...
What type of BC do you use? Might we suggest you try a bp/wing and e-bay whatever you currently have?
:wink:

That reminds me.I still need to ebay my knighthawk :D I think i had it for a whole 4mos and about 8 dives before i switched to BP/Wings.It was a good but expensive move.I must admit i havent touched my knighthawk since i switched over.:D

Speedster are you being mean?
He's terrible isn't he?

What is the big deal about back plate and wings?

Based on my limited experience, a back plate and wings is currently the “best available choice” of BC. You ask why? I say, try one. Not just put it on once and splash in the pool, but give it an honest try. I did and I think it’s the best option. If you develop good buoyancy control and trim you can dive with just about anything including rocks duct taped to your legs and garbage bags for a bladder. But in my experience, if you start wanting to dive with a canister light, wreck reel, stage and/or bailout bottle it will become obvious why a BP and wings are the best option.

Every time someone asks a question about BCs they always get hit with BP and wings as the only way to go.

I don’t think it’s the only way to go, I think it’s the best available option if you want to carry a canister light, wreck reel, stage and/or bailout bottle.

Could this be a DIR thing?

It is and it aint (is not). Back plates and wings were around before DIR and will be around after DIR. But who cares? In my opinion it’s the best available choice of BC. I’m not going to go out of my way to dive with less capable equipment to spite DIR divers. Are you?

Mike

I took my first BP/W dive trip last weekend, and made 8 dives in a BP/W set up. I've been diving convetional BC's since 1999, and since I joined this board in October, its been BP/W this, and BP/W that.

Its the one piece of hear that creeps into almost every thread in almost every room...like a fungus, man.

So I finally did some research (tons) read a few books and thought I owed it to myself to give the rig a try. I gave it a try not because everyone in my dive circle uses them (nobody does) or because I've ever even seen one dived (I hadn't) - I gave it a try because a lot of people who I esteem very highly on this board dive them, and have put together reasonable arguements in their favor.

I posted a complete review on Sunday night. Its here someplace.

I can't honestly see going back to a conventional BC. The BP/W may not be for everyone (my wife won't get near one), but for me, I liked the simplicity, the light weight, reduced drag, the durability, the sizing flexibility, and after diving it last weekend, the performance.

Don't let anyone grind you into thinking that a BP/W equals DIR. That's like saying a drysuit equals DIR. They're related, but they're not the same thing. I dive a BP/W, and even use the DIR regulator set up (long hose, necklace) - but I'm far from a DIR gear config (computer, no SPG, Atomic fins, UK Light Cannon, etc...) and don't currently fully embrace the dive style (tables, finning techniques, etc.)

Yeah - lots of hoopla, and surely some passionate people on both sides. But you won't know if its for you until you dive one. I'm glad I did. I sold my BC.

No pressure - but get the facts - it is a really cool rig.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom