Boycott Starbucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can't boycott Starbucks, all the hot, classy chicks hang out there....

6554b630e0f581b50370bb98c7f653a5.jpg

"You cuss 'em and leave 'em, and I pull up quick to retrieve 'em..." -L.L. Cool J

I am very concerned that you could even think of such a thing.

..... a Viente Starbucks Green Tea Frappucino with extra whip cream and sprinkles.

They rose by shutting down every mom and pop cafe around ten years ago and we all knew they were evil. They are a business, though, and can be expected to act like one.

Where?

I live in the Seattle area ... Starbucks comes from here ... and there's mom and pop espresso stands everywhere. There's also two other major coffee chains ... Tully's and Seattle's Best Coffee (SBC) ... not to mention about a dozen less major ones.

I used to work in downtown Bellevue, less than a block from an intersection that had a Starbucks on one corner, an SBC on another corner, and a Tully's on a third corner. When a little mom & pop espresso stand went on the fourth corner one of my co-worker's response was "Cool! Now I don't have to walk across the street."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We can't boycott Starbucks, all the hot, classy chicks hang out there....

6554b630e0f581b50370bb98c7f653a5.jpg

They have Starbucks in Walmart stores?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In California, although it might have been a bit more than ten years ago. I went to school in San Jose. At that time Starbucks was just getting going in Ca. They basically put a SB's next to any coffee shop around. Back then, they were coffee shops. Very few places were offering expresso, capaccino, etc. Coffee and pie, baby. We literally had two SB's, one right across the street from the other (and another 200 yds away in the stip mall). When the mom and pops closed, so did two of the SB's.

@ Rik Raeder

It's just business...nothing evil about it.

A friend of mine owns a coffee shop, so I hit her place in the morning. Starbucks didn't harm her business at all. In fact she worked for them in Seattle before moving here and opening her shop. Another local shop does just fine too. They put one in town here out of business, but that's the only one I know of. There are lots of coffee shops here that compete very successfully with them by offering something different or better, or scoring prime real estate.

Another thing to consider is that Starbucks kind of pioneered the high end coffee shop thing in the US. Before they spread it wasn't like there were many places like that outside of a few cities. I think there are probably more coffee shops around now than before Starbucks, even excluding their own stores.

That is a nice story of Capitalism :D

Back
Top Bottom