Bowflex owners speak up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a freeweight person in High School to train for sports. About two years ago I found myself in your position. I had a brand new baby which no gym would watch. I was in the worst shape of my life and considering going to Fire school. I bought a used XTL model, which I later added the squat attachment to making the unit a XTLU. The bowflex is not going to give you the full range of motion with all exercises that freeweights will, but at this point it is as close as you will get with one machine. I like the quick change over from lat tower to legs and back. You can get through a complete series of exercise in 20-30 minutes. I entered Fire school at age 40 thinking I would be the weak one, and showed up alot of 20 somethings. A little expensive to buy new but if you are blowing the same $$$ on a gym membership you can't really use I do not see how you will not be better off.

Most important thing about any exercise equipment or program is that you will actually do it.

As a Dad, I'd suggest loading the kids up, and going on a bike ride, or find a nature preserve and do some hiking. (You'll be carrying them and/or the food) Depending on the age, you can pick or choose the more active sports. Enroll them in a little league soccer, baseball, girl scout, boy scout activity and then beline to the gym.

This is a few years old, but a very good review of a Bowflex Ultimate by someone who was a dedicated free weight person that wanted to objectively evaluate the effectiveness of the unit. I do suggest taking the time to read it.

Derek S:
Something else to consider is a Smith Cage System. The benefits of free-weights, no need for a spotter, and if you shop carefully, it can be much cheaper than a Bowflex. The cons are space - Smith Cages are big, and that one might need to purchase a treadmill or an elliptical to get cardio workout that you could get with the rowing part of the Bowflex.
Space is a big concern of mine; I don't have any :D

Loneranger:
A little expensive to buy new but if you are blowing the same $$$ on a gym membership you can't really use I do not see how you will not be better off.
That's my thinking

Damselfish:
Most important thing about any exercise equipment or program is that you will actually do it.
Agreed, I loved going to the gym, but could no longer fit it in.

ScubaBabe22:
As a Dad, I'd suggest loading the kids up, and going on a bike ride, or find a nature preserve and do some hiking. (You'll be carrying them and/or the food) Depending on the age, you can pick or choose the more active sports. Enroll them in a little league soccer, baseball, girl scout, boy scout activity and then beline to the gym.
Nice suggestion, except I live in AZ and it's hotter than H-E-L-L from sunup to sundown. We do go on bike rides, but not very far or for very long cause of the heat. I take the dog for a walk every night, once again not very far or long. Kids already play sports, generally I coach, been coaching my daughter's club team [soccer] for 5 years, which lasts basically the entire school year. Son usually has practice on alternating days, then I got homework, dinner to prepare, etc, etc. Sounds good on paper, just doesn't work for me, and I don't like running around like a chicken with it's head cut-off.

Wayward Son:
This is a few years old, but a very good review of a Bowflex Ultimate by someone who was a dedicated free weight person that wanted to objectively evaluate the effectiveness of the unit. I do suggest taking the time to read it.
Am I missing something like a link??

Years back I bought a "re-conditioned" Total Gym that had the same warranty as a new one. It was one that someone had returned and they resold it but I couldn't tell it had been used. Bow-Flex may have the same kind of deal and could save you some money.

thmoose51:
Years back I bought a "re-conditioned" Total Gym that had the same warranty as a new one. It was one that someone had returned and they resold it but I couldn't tell it had been used. Bow-Flex may have the same kind of deal and could save you some money.
Great idea, hmmm wonder how I would find out about that; surely they don't anxiously offer up the information via customer service #. but worth a shot.

They do have a 30 day money back gaurantee. Possibly they sell any returned units at a discount? Couldn't hurt to call them & ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom