Bowflex owners speak up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The thing is I desperately need to get back into shape. But I'm a single, stay-at-home, full-time father and the gym just doesn't fit into my schedule; although I diligently pay the fees every month plus childcare [$34.95], which at this point is just completely wasted, in the last 2 years, I've only gone a handful of times.

Well I'm tired of pissin' that money away and have considered a Bowflex Extreme II. It'll cost me about the same a month as what I pay now for the gym, plus I'll have something to show for my money, no excuses about not being able to get to the gym, a constant reminder in front of my face, etc. I already have the Bowflex credit card, which I got a couple months ago, but haven't actually pulled the trigger and made my order.

I just don't know anyone who owns one, I see quite a few for sale in the local classifieds. So Bowflex owners if your out there, what are your impressions of your bowflex and what model do you have? Pro's/Con's?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have one, about 5 years old. They work but are expensive.

The plusses are:

They work.
Light weight, so you can put one anywhere without concern for supporting hundreds of lbs of weights.
Reasonably compact, but they do take up some space.
You can do quite a variety of moves on a single machine.
Don't nee a spotter.

The negatives are:

Expensive. If you have the space & can support the weight, you can buy an olympic bar & weights, a power cage, a full set of dumbbells & a stand, & a bench, for a lot less money. But that does take up more room & you need a spotter to work with the heaviest loads, though the power cage can help minimize this need.

I don't have any more negatives.

it seems to favor some exercises over others.

any chest exercise is great on it. Any exercises that are nonliner like a curl doesn't give you the same burn as free weights.

personally I love mine as i don't have to worry about lifting to much weight without a spotter and it is easy to move from one exercise to the next.

lots in classifieds...
negative-expensive...
is there any reason not to buy one used?

Damselfish:
lots in classifieds...
negative-expensive...
is there any reason not to buy one used?
Several
  • Warranty is void; I've heard positive comments about them replacing a pulley, etc. no questions asked if under warranty.
  • I don't have that much expendible cash on hand and if I did; I'd probably buy scuba gear :D, with a classified ad, I wouldn't be able to use a credit card and spread it out.
  • Right now I pay $34.99/mo for the gym, monthly expense would be the same.
  • Since I haven't ever owned one, how would I know if something is wrong, missing or damaged?
  • Generally the models available via classifieds are older one's, the Xtreme II generally is not common on classifieds.

I know there is a negative expense involved, but I figure I've mostly wasted over the last 3 years close to $1500 on the gym for about 6 months of actual full-time use.

Why?? Cause I always intended to go back and my contract is up and I am now paying the lowest monthly fee, didn't want to cancel and start from scratch. They make it annoyingly incovenient to cancel and with the auto-debit it was easy to forget about; which is their intent I'm sure. I have a home phone I pay $40/mo for that doesn't ring, everyone calls my cell, this annoys me far more than the gym for some reason. And last but not least; I can be an idiot at times. Oh BTW LA Fitness if your wondering.

As exercise equipment goes, Bowflex does hold its value better than most. If you're in a position to buy one used you can save a lot. But if you look at what they sell for used vs new, then compare other equipment, BF generally sells for a higher percentage.

Yeah, having spent $1500 you paid for a pretty nice Powerpro model. Dunno what the Extreem 2 is going for but odds are you've almost bought one already.

I'm in the same boat. With my work schedule and everything else, having a membership to a gym is not feasible, I need to have something I can do at home.

Something else to consider is a Smith Cage System. The benefits of free-weights, no need for a spotter, and if you shop carefully, it can be much cheaper than a Bowflex. The cons are space - Smith Cages are big, and that one might need to purchase a treadmill or an elliptical to get cardio workout that you could get with the rowing part of the Bowflex.

OK, looking at their site, the Extreem 2 is $1599. The only accessories I see that I consider must-have for that model are the power rod upgrades to the full 410 lbs. If you buy it, go ahead & just get them with the machine. For leg movements you're going to want everything it's got. That's another $198. if you don't buy them with it, just be prepared that it won't be long & you'll be calling them back to order some rods.

Freeweights, body weight exercises, and cardio are all you need.

Back
Top Bottom