Bought my First Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish people would say "I am about to buy" rather than "I just bought" as there are somewhat cheaper suggestions I would have had you at least consider.

Something commentators need to realize is that the purchaser is located in South Africa, so options may be more limited, and the shop is located in Canada so those are Canadian dollars and not US dollars you are seeing meaning he paid $690 US dollars, not $750 US dollars which makes a big difference in how good a deal it was.
Also Scubapro is a bit weird about discounts and internet sales so its not as easy to find them deeply discounted or online as it is with other brands.

That said, you will never regret purchasing that setup for reasons of capability or quality and it will probably be the last regulator setup you will need to buy for a very long time if not forever.

If money were not an issue I would insist every new diver start with tech gear as having things standardized early is critical to good diving skills and its better to take tech diving gear on a shallow reef dive rather than take recreational grade gear on a technical dive.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 12:03 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Phork, just curious, where are you seeing the 275 price diff on this model? I'll return this one for that kinda price diff. Just to give you an idea, if I were to buy this model local without the black coating I would be paying around 1100 usd.

Price difference is the average price of $999 for the black tech vs the regular price for the non coated regs of $759. So, actually $240 rather than 275.

That's a good point CJ I didn't mention about the Canadian price. I also did post a thread about what I was considering purchasing a while back but only got a couple replies.

I'm also relatively new but I've been diving for a little under a year fairly often so I've saved plenty of money renting my gear and buying my set slowly. Definitely wouldn't just run out and buy the most expensive thing I could find.

Price difference is the average price of $999 for the black tech vs the regular price for the non coated regs of $759. So, actually $240 rather than 275.

I see what you're saying. Does the link you see show the price cut they took off the regulator? They put the price down to about the same price as the chrome played one.

I see what you're saying. Does the link you see show the price cut they took off the regulator? They put the price down to about the same price as the chrome played one.

No, I was just looking at the regular price of $999US when I was talking about the difference originally. Wasn't trying to say you didn't get a good deal, I was mainly just curious if the ones you bought had any difference other than the coating for the higher price.

No, I was just looking at the regular price of $999US when I was talking about the difference originally. Wasn't trying to say you didn't get a good deal, I was mainly just curious if the ones you bought had any difference other than the coating for the higher price.

Gotcha, I was beginning to think I got hosed lol.

Good grief people, the guy just forked over $700 in some currency (Canadian, US, South Africa). Let the man enjoy his purchase. For all you haters out there, here is what Scuba Pro has to say about the black tech: "Black Tech coating is not only for aesthetics, it is also extremely scratch andcorrosion resistant. Applied on both the first and second stages, this premiumfinishing gives a real technical plus to a high performing regulator."

Did you read that peopl??? NOT ONLY FOR AESTHETICS... although mainly for aesthetics, LOL.

I myself have been debating regulators. A local shop near me has the 50th Anniversary Gold Edition MK25/S600 for $500. I think that is a steal, but I am worried that it might be shiny or annoying in the water. That truly is just some cool coating to add bling. However, this man's black tech is $698 US dollars with free shipping to the USA. That's less than the $800 no-black-coating price on scuba.com. I think he made a good choice, and unless he's going to switch to tech diving, he'll use it forever. I'm thinking I might get one.

and unless he's going to switch to tech diving, he'll use it forever. . .

Or cold(er) water. You're not advocating an unsealed, balanced piston first for that are you?

To Virginia Scuba Guy, I believe Dans Dive Shop in Canada has three more in the Yoke version. Check it out if you're interested, I most certainly couldn't find it at that price anywhere. I'm probably not going to be doing any really cold water diving. Maybe just coldER water lol. Probably not doing tech diving either, but knowing that I probably won't have to buy another regulator at least for a very long time is comforting. Not only that, but in Joburg there are tons of Scubapro authorized dealers. I was going to get the Atomic Z3 or Z2x but they aren't as well known out here. To each his own I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom