Bought a Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the manual:

The Shearwater Peregrine charges wirelessly when
mounted on the included dock and on some third
party wireless Qi compliant chargers.
I thought that was so. When I asked them (SW) for specifics, they were not prepared to make any recommendations. Warned me about overheating hazards. Insurance thing - I understand. I’d like to be sble to charge two Terics simultaneously.

Haven’t read all responses so don’t know if this was mentioned. One of my favorite feautures is the alarm is a vibration instead of a chime. UW I can’t tell whose computer is beeping - but I can feel my Peregrine vibrate.

This^

My Oceanic had audible alerts. Mostly I could never hear them. Sometimes I can hear them from other peoples comps but no idea who's or what for. I'm hoping the tactile alerts are more noticeable for me.

It's still dry though. We keep having storms around here...

This^

My Oceanic had audible alerts. Mostly I could never hear them. Sometimes I can hear them from other peoples comps but no idea who's or what for. I'm hoping the tactile alerts are more noticeable for me.

It's still dry though. We keep having storms around here...
I hope you manage to get to try it out soon - love to hear your feedback. Btw, I didn't clean it with running, fresh water after a trip and had a hard time getting both buttons to compress to start it up prior to the first dive of a trip. Now I make sure I push every button while it's under warm, running water - no problems since.

I hope you manage to get to try it out soon - love to hear your feedback. Btw, I didn't clean it with running, fresh water after a trip and had a hard time getting both buttons to compress to start it up prior to the first dive of a trip. Now I make sure I push every button while it's under warm, running water - no problems since.
I do the same with my Teric as the mechanical buttons can get a little “crusty/stiff” if you let salt water dry up around/in them. A soak in the hotel room sink after each day of diving and pushing the buttons while submerged keeps things working smoothly.

My friend lent me his Peregrine after I toasted the battery compartment on my Petrel and it went in for repairs (stellar job by Shearwater, btw). I knew absolutely nothing about the computer and managed to get the gasses set and do a couple of little cave dives with it. I found it easy to see and use, gas switching was no problem considering I never looked at the manual and was able to figure it out underwater. It's way smaller than the Petrel and perfectly adequate for normal OC nitrox diving. I thought I scratched the face and apologized to my friend when I gave it back and he just peeled off a layer of the screen protector, lol! I think I'd mount it on a leaf slate with a couple of tie wraps as discussed in other threads.

Both are great computers. There are pros and cons to each. I would say it really comes down to how you plan to use it. If you plan to use it daily as a smart watch, the Garmin gets the nod. If you plan to only use it as a dive computer, it depends.

The Peregrine gets points for the color display, the G1 for GPS capability. I might give a slight edge to the Peregrine for the UI, but it’s slight. The Garmin UI is not bad at all, and like the SW is configurable.

Both can have dive logs downloaded via Bluetooth, but with the Garmin, it will only work with Garmin apps. For using other apps, the cable is needed. Replacement cables seem relatively reasonable compared to some others.

Charging is via Qi on the Peregrine vs. Proprietary cable with the G1.

You really can’t go wrong with either. I’d say it really comes down to two things. If you want a smart/activity watch as well, get the Garmin. If not, and the color display is most important, get the Shearwater.
Agreed. I have both and think they are each excellent. The G1 is a no-brainer if you also want all its other functionality as a sports watch/health tracker/etc. I just used both on a couple dive days in the Indian Ocean, and I liked them both to the extent that I’m not even sure which one I consider the primary and which the backup.

The G1 is a no-brainer if you also want all its other functionality as a sports watch/health tracker/etc. I just used both on a couple dive days in the Indian Ocean, and I liked them both to the extent that I’m not even sure which one I consider the primary and which the backup.
Yep, I did similar. My primary is my Perdix AI. Has to be, as it’s air integrated, and I don’t dive with a spare SPG on my rig. I was going back and forth on the G1, G1 Solar, and MK2s. What finally won me over was a $100 rebate on the MK2s. Between that, a 20% discount the MK2s was real close to the G1 Solar.

I like it so far. I dove with it once, but not yet with both. That should happen soon as I’m in the Keys for a bit. One thing I stumbled upon was that the MK2s has SurfGF, and I assume the G1 would as well. I changed the main screen to show that in the optional spot.

I'm sad to report that it remains dry. We've been plagued by a stormy summer, ever week for over 2 months has been stormy/rainy, often daily. Fortunately not serious, nothing like a tropical storm, but lots of rain & thunderstorms.

The peregrine still shows a full battery.

le sigh

@Wayward Son, based largely on your thorough and thoughtful analysis, plus much love for the SW Peregrine in other quarters, I bought one from DRIS as part of my re-gearing program in preparation for retirement (after a 26 year surface interval).

Wow. Learned on tables. My first computer in the 1990s was a USD Monitor One. This Peregrine is a whole other critter.

Arrived more than fully charged at 4.1 volts (3.7 is nominal). I took it into the pool on my reactivation session and could see the potential. Intelligent design and intuitive operation.

Having done 4 shore dives in Maui this week, I am so glad to have picked this baby. Works great. Super easy to read for my aged eyes. All key info on one screen. Nitrox compatible. Self-explanatory menus. Wireless charging, though not needed yet. Still at 4.01 volts.

And…very logical upgrade path for super-active or liveaboard divers: the Peregrine becomes backup to a Perdix with AI (that runs on AA batteries!).

Re: Garmin—as a frustrated SoCal motorist who formerly used their poorly-designed (I was going to say something worse) automotive GPS devices, and a road cyclist and recovering triathlete still using their mediocre stuff from a few years back, I have an intense negative bias. Yet all the buzz on the Garmin dive stuff is positive. Go figure. Clearly, they have upped their game. So I would venture to suggest that the SW Peregrine—using the same BUHL algorithm as the Garmin—would also make sense as backup to those who are committed to the Garmin universe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom