Bought a Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charging is via Qi on the Peregrine vs. Proprietary cable with the G1.
That alone would be enough for a hard no for me. I hate proprietary cables for a single device - one more thing to carry and potentially misplace leaving you high and dry on a trip.

That alone would be enough for a hard no for me. I hate proprietary cables for a single device - one more thing to carry and potentially misplace leaving you high and dry on a trip.
Garmin clips are pretty much found everywhere and for most trips the garmin probably wouldn’t need to be charged. I dive a teric and my back up will probably be a G1, but might end up with something else depending on what direction my diving goes.

The QI charging is definitely a convenience/advantage.

With the garmin's long battery life, solar option, and relatively cheap and easy to find cables, I'm not sure if I'd really have any issue there.

Nothing is gonna beat the convenience of the QI charging though.

....really liking that Peregrine screen too

With the garmin's long battery life, solar option, and relatively cheap and easy to find cables, I'm not sure if I'd really have any issue there.

Easy to find all over the world? In remote locations? on a liveaboard? For me, there is no good reason for proprietary cables for applications like this so I try avoid the need for any.

I dive a Teric so can use the same charge pad I carry for my phone - no extra cables to remember to pack. I also have a Perdix 2 and carry an extra fresh lithium AA in it’s case so never have to worry about not having a fully charged DC on dive trips.

Of course, YMMV.

Easy to find all over the world? In remote locations? on a liveaboard? For me, there is no good reason for proprietary cables for applications like this so I try avoid the need for any.

I dive a Teric so can use the same charge pad I carry for my phone - no extra cables to remember to pack. I also have a Perdix 2 and carry an extra fresh lithium AA in it’s case so never have to worry about not having a fully charged DC on dive trips.

Of course, YMMV.

I don’t stress on it too much. I certainly worry about my Teric’s battery but so far holding up fine. I use garmin products for my backcountry trips because of their strength of battery. With garmin battery life is one of the last things you worry about. It is isn’t any harder to bring two charging cords than extra AA batteries.

Yeah, I hear you, but these are pretty cheap from Garmin. Knockoffs are even cheaper. Probably not as readily available as a Qi charger, but pretty close. At least it’s the same charger for all the Descents.

For me, the Garmin is a backup to my Perdix, so a dead battery and lost cable is not the end of the world. Plus, if you start with a full charge, and find out on the boat that you left the cable at home, you still have 25 hours of dive time (more with some of the other Descents).

I dive a Teric so can use the same charge pad I carry for my phone - no extra cables to remember to send pack. I also have a Perdix 2 and carry an extra fresh lithium AA in it’s case so never have to worry about not having a fully charged DC on dive trips.

Of course, YMMV.
I don’t stress on it too much. I certainly worry about my Teric’s battery but so far holding up fine. I use garmin products for my backcountry trips because of their strength of battery. With garmin battery life is one of the last things you worry about. It is isn’t any harder to bring two charging cords than extra AA batteries.
I’ve never stressed about the Teric battery at all as even when mine needed replacements (twice), you’d still be able to get a few days of diving in from a full charge.

I still prefer not having to carry device-specific cables and also like having my computers be from the same manufacturer so they match up during dives.

also like having my computers be from the same manufacturer so they match up during dives.
Garmin and Shearwater both use Buhlmann ZHL 16C with presets and custom GFs. I’m pretty sure the presets are the same, at the very least, they both have 40/85 which is what I have them set to. So, I’m pretty sure they’ll match up well.

Two other points in favour of the G1, in fairness:

- Full Trimix/CCR modes, so if you’re considering tech diving long-run, the G1 could make for an excellent backup.

- Proper compass, assuming it’s a similar sensor to my Mk2i, it’s definitely a substitute for an analog compass.

Honestly, I think the G1 is an excellent backup/secondary computer for someone who wants all the fitness/smartwatch/free diving features, and is also going to want two computers. Getting a G1 (or Descent) + a Perdix would be the best of both worlds I think.

Both are great computers. There are pros and cons to each. I would say it really comes down to how you plan to use it. If you plan to use it daily as a smart watch, the Garmin gets the nod. If you plan to only use it as a dive computer, it depends.

The Peregrine gets points for the color display, the G1 for GPS capability. I might give a slight edge to the Peregrine for the UI, but it’s slight. The Garmin UI is not bad at all, and like the SW is configurable.

Both can have dive logs downloaded via Bluetooth, but with the Garmin, it will only work with Garmin apps. For using other apps, the cable is needed. Replacement cables seem relatively reasonable compared to some others.

Charging is via Qi on the Peregrine vs. Proprietary cable with the G1.

You really can’t go wrong with either. I’d say it really comes down to two things. If you want a smart/activity watch as well, get the Garmin. If not, and the color display is most important, get the Shearwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom