Bought a Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I have not dove it yet.

I did see a thread where someone reported poor battery charge life. I just checked mine, it's been 29 days & it still has a full charge on it.

Appreciate the thread! I intend to pick up a couple this year, or early spring.

DW

Nice review.

Really had no business reading this, my computer is working great and still have a back up waiting to be used. Both are oceanic, and for the easy diving we do, are more than enough.

The thing is I'm developing a dislike for Oceanic as a company, not that they are a company anymore but whatever. Having 3 Datamasks as paperweights because they didn't last us more than few hundred dives each, annoys me to no end.

Been reading many good things about this Peregrine, now this review ... The only thing that saves me is that I'm used to the air integration, not a deal breaker but enough to hold me back at least until one of the stupid oceanic computers goes to crap.

Thanks for the review @Wayward Son.

Nice review, thank you.

I'm just getting back into diving after a 15yr hiatus. Never had a computer back then, and obviously they've changed a lot since those days. I've been considering a peregrine or garmin g1, and your insights are very helpful.

Nice review, thank you.

I'm just getting back into diving after a 15yr hiatus. Never had a computer back then, and obviously they've changed a lot since those days. I've been considering a peregrine or garmin g1, and your insights are very helpful.
Both are great computers. There are pros and cons to each. I would say it really comes down to how you plan to use it. If you plan to use it daily as a smart watch, the Garmin gets the nod. If you plan to only use it as a dive computer, it depends.

The Peregrine gets points for the color display, the G1 for GPS capability. I might give a slight edge to the Peregrine for the UI, but it’s slight. The Garmin UI is not bad at all, and like the SW is configurable.

Both can have dive logs downloaded via Bluetooth, but with the Garmin, it will only work with Garmin apps. For using other apps, the cable is needed. Replacement cables seem relatively reasonable compared to some others.

Charging is via Qi on the Peregrine vs. Proprietary cable with the G1.

You really can’t go wrong with either. I’d say it really comes down to two things. If you want a smart/activity watch as well, get the Garmin. If not, and the color display is most important, get the Shearwater.

Nice review, thank you.

I don’t know how your eyes are, but the display on the Peregrine is very easy to read. Huge plus for me.

I don’t know how your eyes are, but the display on the Peregrine is very easy to read. Huge plus for me.
I was just going to ask about the comparison on display size.
For old eyes, size matters.

It's approximately 2" and very clear. Out of the water I'm real impressed with it & don't expect to have any problems reading it in water.

I have strong astigmatism but do not have corrective lenses in my mask. I still find that UW I can see clear enough without it, but it still helps to have a more readable screen on the DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom