bottom timer, analog depth gauge or 2nd computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My computer suddenly quit in a low vis dive last weekend just after 30 logged dives. I was totally clueless to the depth as this was the first time I dove the site. I do not have a standard console, only a brass SPG at the end of my HP hose. It then suddenly dawned on me that I have no other means of determining depth. It was scary. Now I am considering the following options: 1. bottom timer + table 2. watch (which I already own) + analog depth gauge + table 3. 2nd computer ($$$ - considering that I do not know yet how much I will spend for my computer repair or If I have to get a new one). Any advice would be welcome!

I would think that the depth gauge would be the least expensive way to go. Another way that is not as good, would be to know the depth of each dive that you do beforehand. Most moored sites have known depths.

I vote bottom timer. It will give you max depth,average depth and time. With your tables your good to go.

The analogue depth gauge is by far the cheapest and can be wrist mounted, put in a console with your SPG (the conversion covers are pretty cheap also) or kept in a pocket.

If you're planning on more advanced, i.e. decompression or deep, it would be worth buying the bottom timer as this will give you both depth and time profiles.

However, a good bottom timer is not that much cheaper than a cheap computer these days.... If you're looking at non-decompression diving the need for a back-up computer or a bottom timer is less important as you should be looking at your primary computer quite regularly to stay within NDLs, if it fails you should be able to surface directly to open water without any real danger - particularly if you include a safety stop on the ascent.

Hence the cheapest option would be the analogue depth gauge - but I agree the bottom timer is a nice to have item that always comes in useful!

Just out of interest which computer was it that failed and why?

Karl

Its an archimede 2, fairly new with only 30 dives. Went into low battery alarm without warning at the bottom after which it reverted to watch function and refused to compute NDLs and wont even go into gauge mode. Replaced the battery with fresh ones (twice) and reset it but it wont go into the "dive" mode. It just displays the NDL of 200 mins with no depth readings (did it on a 6 foot deep pool). Previously it would go into the dive mode even if I was just rinsing it post-dive.

+1:coffee:

The analogue depth gauge is by far the cheapest and can be wrist mounted, put in a console with your SPG (the conversion covers are pretty cheap also) or kept in a pocket.

If you're planning on more advanced, i.e. decompression or deep, it would be worth buying the bottom timer as this will give you both depth and time profiles.

However, a good bottom timer is not that much cheaper than a cheap computer these days.... If you're looking at non-decompression diving the need for a back-up computer or a bottom timer is less important as you should be looking at your primary computer quite regularly to stay within NDLs, if it fails you should be able to surface directly to open water without any real danger - particularly if you include a safety stop on the ascent.

Hence the cheapest option would be the analogue depth gauge - but I agree the bottom timer is a nice to have item that always comes in useful!

Just out of interest which computer was it that failed and why?

Karl

Its an archimede 2, fairly new with only 30 dives. Went into low battery alarm without warning at the bottom after which it reverted to watch function and refused to compute NDLs and wont even go into gauge mode. Replaced the battery with fresh ones (twice) and reset it but it wont go into the "dive" mode. It just displays the NDL of 200 mins with no depth readings (did it on a 6 foot deep pool). Previously it would go into the dive mode even if I was just rinsing it post-dive.

I assume that since it is pretty new you can claim warranty on it. I've heard something similar to this that happened in anilao. Not sure if it was the same model as yours. Always trusted suunto. Have had my cobra for 7 years. Just changed battery twice and it works fine. Deepest dive was 224 ft with it in sombrero.

I assume that since it is pretty new you can claim warranty on it. I've heard something similar to this that happened in anilao. Not sure if it was the same model as yours. Always trusted suunto. Have had my cobra for 7 years. Just changed battery twice and it works fine. Deepest dive was 224 ft with it in sombrero.

Ditto on the warranty comment - sounds like one of the depth/water sensors is broken.....

224ft with a console?! That's almost 70m - Sounds pretty hardcore! I've always found the areas around Sombrero to bottom out at around 30-35m - Although the Bahura wall seems to go down forever!

Karl

Ditto on the warranty comment - sounds like one of the depth/water sensors is broken.....

224ft with a console?! That's almost 70m - Sounds pretty hardcore! I've always found the areas around Sombrero to bottom out at around 30-35m - Although the Bahura wall seems to go down forever!

Karl

Bummer on the warranty issue Pao.

Maybe it was bahura. It was a couple of years ago with gigi Santos and group. Trying to get the log of my computer for exact depth.

Back
Top Bottom