Boston Harbour Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frizz:
Went out with Boston Diver Services yesterday as my first trip with them not expecting much..

This was the first time for me diving in Boston Harbor..On this trip Pat and Paul the captain and divemaster of the boat get to pick the dive locations..They were looking for the wreck of the Kiowa and i was to join in...

http://www.mwdc.org/Shipwrecks/Kiowa.html

They have been trying to re-locate this wreck for a few years with the help of a friendly Lobsterman (Yeah there is a few friendly ones) and his hang spots our first dive we found a boiler/turbine so we knew we were close...We moved the boat a few hundred feet and the next dive we were right on top of it!! The hull is still visible after 100+ years! The visibilty was over 10 feet and the water temp at depth was 46 or so... The wreck lies at aprox 50 Feet in High Tide and Wed we had little current making it a nice relaxing dive....

For our third dive we checked out a Scallop bed...picked up about 15 or so nice size scallops for a great dinner..Finishing our dive in the Boston Harbor...

The Charter company was
Diver Services
BostonDivers@aol.com

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
see,diving up north can be very very good,i enjoyed my time in new england a lot...

Okay, We're full then. Make sure you all contact Capt. Pat at Boston Diver Services to confirm and get details.

Today, John H., Matt S., one other diver and I hooked up with Capt. Pat and DM Paul from BDS and had two nice dives at the Kiowa and near the canyons in Boston Harbor. Calm seas and sunny weather. Viz was poor at the Kiowa, but lots of interesting wreckage and warm temps(55F @ 51 feet). Second dive site was just off one of the Brewsters. Beautiful rocky u/w topography similar to that off Cape Ann and much better viz w/ even warmer temps(60F @ 49 feet). Not much luck bug hunting, but it wasn't from lack of trying. Capt. Pat runs a nice dive boat from a covenient location off 3A in Quincy. Definitely worth a return trip. My new Cressi-sub wrist computer passed its first two dives, also.

LobstaMan

I wasn't hunting during either dive, but Joe and I saw a ton of lobsters that looked like keepers when we were at the canyons. I'm going to update my log when I get home today, and will post notes and a video clip later on.

John and I should have taken your route. We worked toward the island and then back toward the boat so we'd surface near it(which we did--nice job, John). That was nice, but next time we'll go away from the island and then back to it. Maybe we'll fit another trip in before the season's over. Nice diving w/ you and Joe, Matt. See ya out there.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
John and I should have taken your route. We worked toward the island and then back toward the boat so we'd surface near it(which we did--nice job, John). That was nice, but next time we'll go away from the island and then back to it. Maybe we'll fit another trip in before the season's over. Nice diving w/ you and Joe, Matt. See ya out there.

LobstaMan

We ran SSW more or less, roughly parallel to the shore line toward the area just off the breaking rocks. At about 150' (horizontal travel, not depth) we hit some beautiful terrain with steep walls and crevasses. It was very colorful, and there were more lobsters than you could shake a tickle stick at.

I'd like to do a whole lot more dives like the two we did yesterday!

Hey guys great diving yesterday! I'll definately be back diving with Pat and Paul again. I am actually hoping to get out Saturday to the kiowa again. If anyone is up for it let me know.
We would plan on hitting it at dead low tide approx 11:00AM so it wouldn't be as early a start, and the sun should be nice and high and hopefully brighten up the site.

-john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom