Boston Harbour Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frizz

New
Reaction score
Went out with Boston Diver Services yesterday as my first trip with them not expecting much..

This was the first time for me diving in Boston Harbor..On this trip Pat and Paul the captain and divemaster of the boat get to pick the dive locations..They were looking for the wreck of the Kiowa and i was to join in...

http://www.mwdc.org/Shipwrecks/Kiowa.html

They have been trying to re-locate this wreck for a few years with the help of a friendly Lobsterman (Yeah there is a few friendly ones) and his hang spots our first dive we found a boiler/turbine so we knew we were close...We moved the boat a few hundred feet and the next dive we were right on top of it!! The hull is still visible after 100+ years! The visibilty was over 10 feet and the water temp at depth was 46 or so... The wreck lies at aprox 50 Feet in High Tide and Wed we had little current making it a nice relaxing dive....

For our third dive we checked out a Scallop bed...picked up about 15 or so nice size scallops for a great dinner..Finishing our dive in the Boston Harbor...

The Charter company was
Diver Services
BostonDivers@aol.com

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I did not think you needed a special cert to dive a wreck but I am still new to all this. I thought the cert was more for folks who want to learn to penetrate wrecks. Even with a cert it seems penetraions are much more for the experts but then again I have been reading books about the doria where someone dies about every two pages...maybe jsut gunshy :)

Am I off on this ?

I am still piecing together gear but should be mostly done this weekend. I would be up for a trip out and reckon i have a second that would want to join. Be interested to know what kinda cash we were talking if we could get a boat together.

Sounds very interesting. Keep me posted re: upcoming trip. Just got back from CAD trip to Egg & Paddock Rocks w/ Hurleyskis & ScubaStew. First time w/ CAD. Two excellent dives w/ interesting u/w terrain. Little colder than I thought for this time of year...50F @ 60fsw. There's nothing like a charter boat dive!

LobstaMan

Gabriel90512:
I would love to but i dont have my reck cert :(

You don't need it. You can dive wrecks perfectly well without one unless you're going to do penetrations, but the PADI cert won't teach you to do that. If you get to the point where you want to learn penetration, you'd do well to take a Cavern course, and/or find a wreck class that's more comprehensive.

If possible, I'd like to do Kiowa and the Canyons on the east side of Outer Brewster.

Scalloping's fun, but at this point I'm more interested in seeing new sites than in filling a catch bag (although I'll probably bring one).

If we have the following people interested, we should definately be able to schedule something. I sent a PM to Boston Diver Services, and will get back to everyone with rates and time availability. I'm thinking the first weekend in September would be good.

Interested divers:
msilvia
Gabriel90512
JPG
robrob
robrob's friend
Yak? Are you interested if it isn't a scallop dive?
LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom