Boot or Sock for full foot fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think a sock is going to offer much protection from the environment unless its just shells on sandbottom..

sounds like you'll have no trouble with a 6mil thick sock.. but I've found there are big differences in sock types (I have about 10 different pair, or more).. I can tell you that you can drop at least 2mils with a good lined sock compared to a cheaper unlined sock. They will not transfer near as much water..

"Holding breath" is correct. A 3 mm sock will allow your foot to fit an 11 1/2 fin. I'm guessing here because foot size doesn't usually follow a range. A half size is a big difference. You will need a honking thick boot for a size 13 fin".

The very best fin for your daughter is the Oceanic Caribe. A 3mm sock and the one size up rule applies. If the fin is too large, get her a boot. I get the feeling that you are trying to get good advice here but will eventually buy whatever is closest at hand or falls off the rack. Don't do that.

Buying a sock is not simple. Only freedivers socks are adequate. Fortunately, IST makes a simple, 3 mm sock that fits tight, won't pull off accidentally, or blister, and is cheap (EBay). It is made by somebody who understands these things well.

Most of the time sand shoreline except during low tide then sharp rocky bottom with kelp bed covering them. One area we plan on going alot has oyster shorline during low tide but sand during med to high tide. Monday was out at the pacific ocean in 7mil wetsuit and sneakers playing in the water feet alittle cold but liveable hands alittle cold. I'm going to check out ebay alittle more. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom