Boot or Sock for full foot fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wkyongae@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi, looking at buying booties/socks for full foot fins with a little room in them. I think 2-3mm might work. Any idea would help also, I live in the Olympia Wa and will be entering the water from shore so would like a boot/sock that will protect my feet a little. Water temp 50's.

Not sure if you are asking about brands or just suggestions on which type to buy.

Here is what I can tell ya...

I like booties, especially for beach entries. When walking from the parking lot onto the beach and then entering the surf I think booties give you an edge. They have the rubber sole on the bottom and provide better protection and traction.

I use a 5mm bootie in So/Cal. Have used in temps in the mid 50's with no problems.

Different brands offer side zip, thicker soles, etc.. some are even like real boots (Henderson has a slip on -hyperstretch- that looks like snow boots).

Can't suggest a brand. Don't know if you usually buy from your local LDS and what they carry or from an on-line store. In either case, you need to find something that suits your needs with the type of full foot fin you use.

I'd think with water temps in the 50s, you'd want thicker than 2-3mm. Most people typically use open heel fins with thicker booties in those temps. Socks will get pretty ripped up if you walk around in them much (I've done it, had some socks that were mostly aquaseal when I chucked them) and won't protect your feet too well on anything like rocks or pavement.

Thanks for the help, not really looking for any brand just something to protect my feet when entering from the beach. Most of our beach snorkeling is in very sandy areas. We are really not loking at going very deep right now.

wkyongae@aol.com:
Thanks for the help, not really looking for any brand just something to protect my feet when entering from the beach. Most of our beach snorkeling is in very sandy areas. We are really not loking at going very deep right now.
so you are snorkeling, not diving?

I would highly suggest you go with a 7mm boot. I lived in Oregon for a few years and wouldn't dream of going into the water with anything less than a 7mm. If you are going to be diving, you might want to seriously consider a drysuit. If you're snorkeling, go with the 7mm boot.

all the freedivers are wearing socks with full foot fins... go one size over with the fin and you can comfortably wear a 3mm up to a 6mil sock. if your fin is a bit loose with the thinner sock you can get fin keepers that will help.. these also help a lot with the thicker socks when they compress from the deeper depths. The sock won't take the walking abuse that a boot will, so get a couple of pairs if you're a walker...
do you realize that just up the road in Vancouver you are near some of the most "extreme" snorkelers in the world?

Im pretty sure you're gonn have cold feet in 2-3 mil. You may want to consider 5+ mil. As for the type, im a confirmed hard sole user, and love them. (no sore feet on rocky entries)

Thanks for the help I have maybe 1/4" of room around my foot. Would a 5-6mil fit in my full foot fin size 11.3 to 13.5 and my shoe size is 10 to 10.5? I didn't think a hard sole would fit in. Sometime this week we are going to our locale dive shop with fins and do some trying. Kind of like we did with my daughter who has small feet size 5 or 6 and wanted fins.

Back
Top Bottom