Booked Southern Cross Club on LC for June 1-11, any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who have posted all this great info! Very helpful!! Keep it coming if you have more.

I forgot to mention wi/fi, internet, and tv access on Little Cayman. Of course you don't go on a dive vacation to watch tv or stay connected but sometimes that's a factor, and since your children will be back home you will probably want to stay in touch.

I have never stayed at SCC so you will have to check with them for specific information. Speaking only about the LCBR, when we were there in 2017 the TV reception in the rooms was poor - only a few fuzzy channels, but the TV in the bar got good reception with a wide range of channels, so if someone wanted to watch a specific sports event for instance, they would go to the bar.

There was free wi/fi internet access at the resort but it was spotty. It was usually the most consistent in the lobby and other public areas. There was a general use computer and printer in the hotel lobby for boarding passes, downloads, etc. and that usually worked fine. LCBR recently went through some major renovations so reception and access may be better now - I don't know.

Most people leave their phones on "airplane mode" and use free wi/fi connections for email, texting, and skyping. They put it on airplane mode before you leave the US. There may be roaming charges and international charges by the minute to make phone calls or pay for wi/fi in a foreign country, depending on the type of package you have.

You could could contact your mobile phone provider and ask about adding on temporary international service (or maybe just Mexico and the Caribbean service?) to your phone for a month. You only pay the extra fee for a short time and then it ends, and it is probably cheaper than doing it piecemeal and paying by the minute.

I'm not sure about that whole Pirates Point thing. They only do AM boat diving and I gather "one long dive", the boat does not leave directly from the resort, and now this restaurant review implying limited selection.

Not for me.

I'm not sure about that whole Pirates Point thing. They only do AM boat diving and I gather "one long dive", the boat does not leave directly from the resort, and now this restaurant review implying limited selection.

Not for me.
Probably my biggest complaint about Reef Divers is that they only do a single tank in the afternoon :). Only get in 4 dives when there is a night dive

I believe it's 2 long dives at PP. I think they get going a bit later after a nice breakfast and the diving stretches into the afternoon, followed by a late lunch. They've been around a long time so clearly the relaxed and food focused schedule appeals to enough people. I might actually might enjoy it since I'm not a morning person, and I could get lots of bottom time on 2 tanks if not restricted - but my air hog husband would never go for it!

I do want to try SCC sometime.

A couple of things to highlight from Kathy's excellent postings above...

1) If you can avoid it, try not to take the return flight to GC that goes through CB. If you do, you will have to exit the plane, clear your carry-ons through security, and re-board on Brac. There are several direct LC to GC flights that don't have that issue.

2) Read the part carefully about duty free liquor. Even if you book all the way through to LC on Cayman Airways, you are going to have to collect your check bags in GC and exit the airport through customs before rechecking the bags to LC. So if you have a bag with duty free liquor you bought before leaving the states, you will have to leave room to put it back in your check bags before the flight to LC, because you will not be able to go through security with it as a part of a carryon.

3) Yes, there is a 55# per person checked baggage limit on the twin otter flights to and from LC and a 15# carry-on limit, but the overage fee is only $0.50 per pound. And enforcement of the overage charge is pretty hit or miss. I would say we average getting charged only about 50% of the time, even though we are always over the weight limit between dive and photo gear.

4) And lastly, one little nitpick on Kathy's post...the runway is not actually used as a road. You will cross over the main road going from the airport to the runway, but the road itself is separate from the runway. Do be sure to get a picture of the "Terminal A, Gate 1" sign on the airport building though to show your friends how quaint it all is though.

5) As somebody else said, if Ron is still working at SCC, try to get on his boat. Ask him to tell the "dirty tree" story. And talk to Ed about the iguanas and wildlife on LC if you are interested. He is a gold mine of knowledge about the wildlife on the island and is active in the efforts to protect the native iguanas.

The flight over and the "airport" on LC are so unique. We loved it, especially our kids. Truly a getting away from it all experience. SCC someday. :)

...And lastly, one little nitpick on Kathy's post...the runway is not actually used as a road. You will cross over the main road going from the airport to the runway, but the road itself is separate from the runway. Do be sure to get a picture of the "Terminal A, Gate 1" sign on the airport building though to show your friends how quaint it all is though...:)

It was even better back in 1995 when LC still had a grass landing strip...

Hey AggieDiver, not everybody agrees with your distinction between the road and the runway, see below! :wink:

Why You Need to Visit Little Cayman

LCM.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom