Booked Southern Cross Club on LC for June 1-11, any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was even better back in 1995 when LC still had a grass landing strip...
I thought it was grass, a field when we landed in 2010. Looked like it had part time use as a sports field.

I thought they used Rt 1 as the taxiway. Maybe that was back when the runway was unpaved?

Hey AggieDiver, not everybody agrees with your distinction between the road and the runway, see below! :wink:

Why You Need to Visit Little Cayman

View attachment 511468

Like I said...you cross the road to get from the airport to the runway...but the runway is not used as a road. See below. I put a red line on the paved runway. Guy Banks Road is south of the runway and runs parallel to it. I circled the airport where the plane parks in red as well. The article is correct...traffic stops when the plane lands and crosses the road to get to the airport, but the runway is separate from the road.

2nizbnF.jpg

I thought it was grass, a field when we landed in 2010. Looked like it had part time use as a sports field.

I has been paved for a little over 10 years. Looking at Google Earth images, it looks like maybe they were partly finished paving it in 2006? Or maybe they only paved a shorter section and later extended it.

I could be wrong, still pretty darn rustic

Well, lets put it this way...it is not a really wide paved runway...so if you are in the plane, unless your nose is against the glass looking down, pretty much all you see is grass beside you. It is rustic and to me is one of the coolest parts about travelling there. I really hope they never follow through with building a new airport, as it would ruin just a bit of the charm of getting there for me.

I also fondly remember the open cockpit in the flight over. No door between you and the pilots. Shortly after take off the pilots put newspaper up over the windshield to block the sun on a good part of our trip over. Again, the kids got a kick out of this.

If you like rustic charm - and if you are a thrill seeker - check out the Saba Airport!

Saba is a Dutch Island and they call the tiny airfield an "international airport" because they accept/send flights (in twin otters and other small planes) to nearby neighboring islands, like British St. Kitts.

The island is almost vertical and they have carved out one flat area with a very short runway. Your knuckles turn white as your planes races towards the end of the runway and the sea!

See the link below:

and that X means the runway is technically closed...

1) If you can avoid it, try not to take the return flight to GC that goes through CB. If you do, you will have to exit the plane, clear your carry-ons through security, and re-board on Brac. There are several direct LC to GC flights that don't have that issue.

So do they only make you do the security thing on the way back to Grand, or is that also true of a Grand->Little flight that stops on Brac?

and that X means the runway is technically closed...

So do they only make you do the security thing on the way back to Grand, or is that also true of a Grand->Little flight that stops on Brac?

Depends on their schedule. There have both direct flights and stopover flights going each way. Of course you can sign up for a direct flight when you book but by the time you fly, they may have changed how you are going. The direct flight is 35 minutes and I think the stopover adds maybe 20 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom