Booked Southern Cross Club on LC for June 1-11, any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and that X means the runway is technically closed...

So do they only make you do the security thing on the way back to Grand, or is that also true of a Grand->Little flight that stops on Brac?

It is only for the LC-CB-GC flights. It has to do with security screening regs for flights coming into GC. Since LC has the waiver, you don’t have to go they security there on your way to GC. But if you go to CB first, then you are no longer under the waiver and have to go through security. It may only apply to legs where you switch from the Otter to the Saab though. But I am not sure they have any otter flights left between GC and CB. When you are coming to LC, you were screened in GC, so there is no need to do it again on CB.

LCM is rustic and charming until it becomes inefficient and inconvenient and then not so much. I think it is cool to fly a small plane to a rural island - unless I can't get a flight on the dates that I want (even though the hotel has availability) because they only fly tiny planes during daylight hours and they are all booked up - and I know that they are holding some seats for locals.

And it isn't quite as charming when my luggage is delayed (again!) because the cargo space is so limited.

I'm not looking for a big, modern airport (heaven forbid!) but a little less rustic charm and a bit more efficiency and convenience would be okay with me.

It's true that we don't get charged for overweight luggage about half the time, and when we are charged it usually isn't bad, but I saw a guy with a lot of camera equipment pay a hefty sum at LCM the last time we were there, so it can happen.

I like the scene in Cayman Went when the arrogant, full of himself B-List actor gets off the plane at the Cayman Brac airport and says "Real tarmac? I'm impressed!"

Maybe something a bit more like CBM but smaller would be a nice change for LC. I can dream!

I think sometimes the empty seats are related to knowing they are carrying a bunch of divers with heavy gear and knowing they have to carry enough fuel over to LC to make it back to GC without refueling. So even though the plane may have more seats, they may not have the weight allowance and fuel to fly them. I think some of your concerns are why they were originally looking at building a new airport with a longer runway so they could fly something like the Saab in and out of LC. But I just don't think they can make the financial case that it is needed on LC.

"Build it and they will come"

The better the airport and the services, the more passengers. My vote would be to leave the LC airport exactly as is and hope that development never comes to Little Cayman.

"Build it and they will come"

The better the airport and the services, the more passengers. My vote would be to leave the LC airport exactly as is and hope that development never comes to Little Cayman.

I certainly understand and agree with that point of view, but it may not be so bad. I am sure that everyone was worried about "there goes the neighborhood!" when they built the new airport on Brac but the worst fears were unfounded.

Decades ago, when we stayed at the Riding Rock Inn on the small island of San Salvador, Bahamas, there was a tiny little airport with broken planes piled up all around it. Before you could board the very small planes - smaller than an Otter - they weighed each individual and our bags. At that time I think that the RRI was the only hotel on the island.

While we were there they were just starting to break ground for the Columbus Isle Club Med and everyone was worried that "it was the beginning of the end" for that pretty little island. They eventually did build a larger airport to accommodate the Club Med guests and now, much later, there are a total 4 hotels and 3 restaurants on the entire island. The Club Med is the big hotel and all the others are small. The Riding Rock Inn is still going.

So I don't think that a few improvements to the airport would automatically spell doom for Little Cayman, but we manage well enough under the current system so that's okay, too. We were able to book flights for our upcoming trip without problems so I'll stop grumbling - at least until they delay my bags again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom