Book Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am sorry if this has been covered in the past. I did a search and could not yield any results. I am looking for a couple good books to read. I recently completed my advanced OW card and am nitrox certified. I have logged around 65 dives.

I would like a few books on the following:
  • I would like a good basic book to review nitrox (I lost my manual).
  • I am interested in spear fishing and recently tried it for the first time.
  • I am interested in cavern and beginner wreck.
  • Any other book that would be beneficial, interesting, and educational.
Thanks for any recommendations.

Yay, I'm so happy I can finally reply to a post as a newbie. I haven't read any of these books so I cannot speak to their quality, however, so you have some choices:

Nitrox:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0485074-3508135?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nitrox+diving

"Recreational Nitrox Diving" by Robert N. Rossier

"TDI Advanced Nitrox Scuba Diving Manual"

"Workshop on Enriched Air Nitrox Diving"

Wreck:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0485074-3508135?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Wreck+Diving&Go.x=5&Go.y=3

"Complete Wreck Diving: A Guide to Diving Wrecks"

"PADI Wreck Diving Specialty"

"Advanced Wreck Diving Guide"

"Shipwreck Diving"

Cavern:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0485074-3508135?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Cavern+Diving

"NSS Cavern Diving Manual"

Maybe more experienced ScubaBoard members will know which of these are worth the money and which you can cross of the list.

Also, my public library has several scuba diving books...so that might be another place to check out.

"Diver down - Real World Scuba Accidents and How to avoid them", by Michael Ange, the technical editor at Scuba Diving Magazine, THE most helpful diving book I've ever seen. It dosen't only recount accidents in suspenseful manner that keeps you reading, but it also analyzes them and explains exactly what happened and why, so you learn from other's experiences without making the same mistakes yourself.

"Neutral Buoyancy", by Tim Ecott. Essays about diving, sprinkled with some diving science and history. The author finds very, very cool stories seemingly forgotten by time. Did you know that the world's best sponge divers who started the business in the US came from Greece? They routinely descended to 120 feet and beyond while holding their breath, willfully popping their ears in the process. This just as an example of the many curious stories in this book.

"The Last Dive" A glimpse into the world of the world of tech diving, realting a lot of basic knowledge and historical facts along the way. very suspenseful. The story of two egomaniacs and how they die trying to solve the mystery of a German U-Boat wreck.

I second Diver Down. I required my sons (my dive buddies) to read it before dving with me. Excellent book, good material and will keep you thinking about your safety.

The Darkness Beckons by Martyn Farr – one of the best books I have ever read on cave diving.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom